random top five; crocodiles


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
October 19th 2008
Published: October 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

to be truthful writing any sort of blog is low on the priority at the moment, it's more a motivational issue than just 'being incredibly adventure busy'. i'm really loving not having any other responsibility than deciding where to go, what to do, eat, drink, etc. after ten days of touring nz's north island we had a day of jobs yesterday in wellington - sorting travel, visa's and injections so that we can visit more nice places. i appreciate that it's outrageous to say so, but i had to spend 3 hrs on the internet 'sorting things' and it nearly finished me. how on earth did i sometimes spend 12hrs a day in front of a computer! but i do want to capture a bit of the trip that will be fun to look back on...

top five facts about crocodiles:

i like them (a fact, but not a top five) but they've got a worse press than usual over here as a retired ex-army chap was recently taken and eaten by a 6m croc called charlie in northern queensland. checking his crab pots. to find out a little bit more and because i have more free time than i'm used to, i borrowed a book (Australian Crocodiles and Natural History by Grahame Webb and Charlie Manolis).

1. They have evolved the perfect eyes for hunting in shallow water. eyes are only 7cm apart over 5m long body, the vision of each overlaps (think binoculars) giving precise orientation of prey. they see in colour but have additional crystals in the retina for low light and they have a third transparent eye lid for when they have submerged

2. Heart is unique to crocodillians - taking best attributes of mammals and reptiles (3 chambered with joined ventricle so can mix and send oxygenated blood to the brain, lungs, etc - good for diving!)

3. Have a palatal valve to stop water entering the throat so they can take prey underwater

4. Each tooth has it's own pressure pad/sensor

5. They know which motor engine they like (have got used to) or those they don't. Great story about a croc called Sweatheart who used to go for any engine, including those up on the bank if they were still warm. not a fisherman's friend...

They were hunted to near extinction in NQL, though they are now nearly up to 30/40k.




Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0406s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb