North Island Adventures!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
March 20th 2008
Published: March 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hey!
Sorry its been such a long time. And still no photos - promise we will get ourselves sorted, especially as we have a rather smart new camera!

We are leaving the North Island tommorrow, so i had better update you on the last 2 weeks.
We have done a rather zig-zag route - but it has meant we have seen a lot of the North and have been moving pretty much everyday!

After picking up our 2nd car we headed to Rotorua or 'sulphur city' ... hmmm,.. the smell comes from the huge amount of thermal activity that the area is famous for. Its pretty amazing to experience a town with steaming hot springs and spurting mud pools and geysers surrounding it. Some mud pools are above boiling! - we bathed our feet in a cooler mud bath and later went the Polynesian Spa - heaven in a giant bath tub 😊 We swam in hot thermal water which apparently contains healing properties - outside, overlooking the sun setting on a lake.

Next we headed to Taupo - famous for its HUGE lake. We walked along the longest river in New Zealand to Huka Falls - an incrediably powerful waterfall.

Next we headed up to the Bay of Plenty - known to be the sunniest region in New Zealand. It didnt disappoint and we lazed on the beach with Mt Maunganui (large mountain) towering over us.
The next day we carried on along the coast to Opotiki. It feels a lot less touristy up here and the beaches are full of driftwood but no people. We went for a swim - later found out Sharks are actually seen in the area!

We drove the rocky road to the East Cape - the most eastery tip of New Zealand. A very STEEP climb takes you up to the Lighthouse and fantastic views - worth the hike up, tho half way you may wonder!
Near here we stayed in a very remote backpackers - Eastenders Farmstay. We were the only people here - in the middle of nowhere surrounded by hills, sheep, horses, pigs and a dog! It was pretty special.

I had the chance to ride here so grabbed it - and it was one of the best things i have done so far on this trip. It was a two hour ride - just me and the guide - along the beach ...galloping through the waves (photos eventually!), riding through a river, up a steep hill - finished off by rounding up and herding some horses back to the stables. One of the best rides EVER!!

We drove down the coast - remote coastlines and steep forested mountains...pretty terrifying as the roads are pretty narrow on cliff edges, especially as lorries taunt me...we dont want anymore 'cliff' incidents! - to Gisborne...Civilisation!! We stayed in the 'Flying Nun Backpackers' - a converted convent! Pretty cool and possibly haunted. Here we also bumped in to a couple of guys that we have seen at several other hostels - keeps happening! Its a very small backpacker world.

Napier - our next stop, Art Deco City. Pretty damn funky buildings and a cool place to hang out and get some washing done.

Palmerston North - a town where we stopped for the night on the way to somewhere...'Palmy'.

Found another remote farmstay - Wheatley Downs - a great place down a long track. The weather was fantastic and we sunbathed and walked down a valley - joined by cute little pigs, that roll over when you scratch their tummys, cows and horses...then we climbed up the side of the valley and nearly fell down again ...grr, cliffs!

We have also walked a beautiful wooden walk on the side of Mt Taranaki ... as an alternative to walking the actual mountain (next time!) It felt like we were in Lord of the Rings. And we have baked Hot Cross Buns - HAPPY EASTER!!

ooooooooo...a change to the schedule. We have changed our flights so that we go back via San Francisco!! (rather than LA) Very excited!

Wellington is cool - we have been here a couple of nights and have explored everything that is free - art galleries, the great interactive museum and cable car (not free but not much)

Hope you are all well,
Will write from the South Island!!

Love issie and cordy x x


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



21st March 2008

Wow so jealous!
Hey Is and Cordy, Wow your adventures sound amazing as ever! I am really jealous! It is Good Friday but the weather is far from good - its cold, windy and rainy - typical England. I am at home and Peter is back now which is great. The horseriding sounds incredible Issie, beach riding is always amazing and how nice that there were only two of you! I keep thinking lately that Id love a horse especailly as I drive past fields of them every day to work. All ok here, missing you though, its weird coming back to Suffolk and you not being here! oh its raining again and it couldne look more miserable out there. Blurgh. Make the most of everything you two and look after yourselves, get those pics up soon please! I bet you look healthy and tanned! Lots of Love, Howge

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0375s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb