Wellington - last stop on the North Island


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
January 19th 2008
Published: January 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Whanganui to Wellington


Our hostel at PlimmertonOur hostel at PlimmertonOur hostel at Plimmerton

The lounge of our ridiculously posh hostel near Wellington where the lounge looked out right over the sea.
DATE VISITED: 16-18TH JANUARY

The 4hrs ish drive to Plimmerton lead us to a small coastal village where our stop for the next 3 nights would be close to Wellington. Plimmerton was my choice as a base over Wellington, the capital, as we got the best of the sea (views and the sound of waves when sleeping at night) combined with the lively day times spent in Wellington.

Wellington a very pretty city with a small compact centre looked good in the sun and was in full floweing bloom. There were no fumes, no traffic and only a handful of cars. The electric buses and numerous grassy areas gave it a clean pollution free feel. It certainly didn't have the stress or rush of a hectic capital - more a small city.

Everyone seemed relaxed - even exchanging travellers cheques in the bank right outside Parliament was a pleasant experience as the bank clerk (yet again over here) have all the time in the world to ask how you are doing, what you are upto or to give tips on where to go!

Wellington had quite a european feel to it with all the cafes and shops
Wellington Wellington Wellington

View from the Botanical Gardens looking down over the city
on the pedestrianised streets. High rise offices would tower over eating areas in contrast where tree lined streets and parks and green areas would avoid any look of a business district.

The harbour area was ok but I wouldn't say it had the glamour that Auckland had with all the boats and yachts set amidst a backdrop of volcanos...but it was still nice to have a capital city rest against a clean sparkling water harbour - so clean that people were swimming in it! Wellington did have a better centre to it than Auckland and offered much more choice for cafe chilled sessions. Wellington also felt quite safe: no gangs, immigrants or tramps! as in our cities!

The botanical gardens were worth a recky and offered rewarding views at the top even though we were lazy and took a tram to the hill top.

What made our visit to Wellington even better was our stay at Moana Lodge guest house in Plimmerton village:

http://www.moanalodge.co.nz/ <<<<<<< - check this out!

Our backpackers was ridiculously posh and organised. A huge commercial kitchen helped contained everyone's food. The rooms were imaculate. The information overloading and the hospitality of the owners second to none! We chilled in the lounge every evening reading the paper like a pair in a retirement home at Filey.
No wonder this place has retained the highest rating for hostels since 2000 at 96%.

The 2nd day in Wellington was ok but my ankle hurt a little after it swelled up to the size of a tennis ball thanks to all my mozzy bites which have at times become almost unbearable with its itchiness! We checked out 2 museums which had quite interesting exhibitions ranging from maritime and military history to earthquakes and geographical type interactive displays.

Although we only spent 2 days in Wellington I felt it was enough to soak up the cafe culture, harbour front and shops. I won't miss the gusty wind of wellington - which blows directly off the Cook Strait.

The stay at Moana lodge was a nice luxurious way (at 11 quid each a night) to end our North Island tour.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.342s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0754s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb