Windy Wellington


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
December 16th 2007
Published: December 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After waking up to another dull day, we were not that bothered as we had a day planned in the National Museum called Te Papa which comes highly recommended by all that have visited..

Think Chamber street x 5 for size, we were sucked in by the first level which was a full explanation of how the tectonic plates all work and why nz is such a dangerous place to stay. NZ is basically riding on the seam of the australasia and pacific plate with them grinding againts one another all the time......having spent a few days in Rotorua and Taupo, Graham and I spent ages reading this stuff and did not leave enough time for the other 5 floors.

However, I did find the time to practice my sheep shearing skills, pics to follow .....

We then met up with relatives from Dad's side of the family, Dennis and Carol who very kindly shouted us lunch and gave us some great tips for our visit to the Northland....

After a quick scoot round the rest of the museum we then got an understanding on why there is so much Rainfall on NZ, and in particular around Mount Tanaki which is where we are now ....gggggrrrr but more on that later 😞(

We left Wellington after 3pm for a 5 hour drive up north to New Plymouth, we decided just to crack on with eating up the miles as it was such a nice night, and were having fun driving through the countryside, Graham with his top off in the hope he would get a tan through the window ...

We arrived in New Plymouth, and to the wonderful site of Mount Tanaki - it looks like Mount Fuji and even starred in Tom Cruise's film the last Samurai...we started to plan our adventures up it for the next day .....

After a great meal at the local Noodle Express we then retired for the night as we had lots planned for the next day.....or so we thought 😞(


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb