The south of the north


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
September 30th 2005
Published: September 30th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Hello from the south of the north island - capital of this fine land - Wellington. After saying no more shopping I did a little bit more in a place called Otaki. It had a discount surf shop and i couldnt resist got couple of tops for my bros. So it was all good as it wasnt for me.

Left Muckland (Auckland) on Sat, thankfully. Its a huge city but a dump, theres one main street and not a lot else. Got the coach to Rotorua, stopped off at a place called Waitomo were I did a glow worm tour and saw lots of little glow worms in caves. In the evening went to a Maori village (fake). Its an evening were tourists like myself can go and see what happens in a Maori village and eat some of the food. Was also treated to some singing by the Maori women which was really good. The closest way of saying Maori I can think of is Mardi or Mouldly. It depends on how the 'r' is rolled. Ive given up trying to pronounce and spell words in NZ, because its not say it how you spell it. The Maori language is an equal language in NZ and many of the signs are in England and Maori which is really good. In NZ they seem to acknowledge the Maori people instead of trying to forget they are there, like in Australia with Aboriginals.
Spent a couple of boring days in Rotorua not a lot to do apart from walking round part of the lake and trying not to be sick from the smell of Sulphur which comes from the geothermal springs.
From Rotorua went to Taupo on the edge of Lake Taupo, which is so big Singapore could fit into it! Was only there one night but had a quick look around the town before heading off to an 'Irish' bar for a quiz with people from the bus. At the hostel I met a girl whoi I've not sen for 6 years, I went to school with her, very spooky. Had a quick catch up about people who she's kept in contact with and some are married/engaged. Even more scarier!
Arrived in Welly a couple of days ago and theres some magnificant scenery. Got a good view at the top of the botanical gardens. Can see how Welly is in a harbour surrounded by mountains. Also visited the parliament of NZ, just turned up and went on a tour. Bit more lapse security than if you tried to get into the Houses of Parliament. But from seeing the news its quite easy to get onto the roof!
Also went an extracted strawberry DNA at the national museum, so cool! A really good museum that is 4 floors of bright, interactive and interesting exhibits. Have to break up the visit into 2.
Been out for the past couple of nights. Who can resist $5 cocktails (1 pound 90p)! But no more I will be having a quite night in or going to the cinema. Off to the Observatory tomorrow evening to watch the stars.

Off to the north of the south island on Sunday via the ferry, a 3 hour crossing.

You'll all be pleased to know that I'm no longer enjoying nice sunny, hot beach like weather. Its very windy in Welly and it rains a lot here. Down the West coast of the South its even colder about 14-16 degrees.
Might try and get some photos up tomo.

Karen

Advertisement



Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0195s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1009.8kb