Talent Quest/L&P


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
July 17th 2005
Published: July 27th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday, Saturday was the Talent Quest (Show) for Unicomm. It was very entertaining. Two of my friends, Jason and Doug got on stage and sang a very controversial song in front of at least a hundred residents, it was hilarious. Tonight Kristen, Kim, and I saw Fantastic 4, it was so so, nothing special. On the way back I bought a 2.25 liter bottle of L&P Soda because I have never seen it before. It was actually really good NZ soda. It tastes like a mix between sprite and ginger ale. The L&P logo is classic, "World Famous in New Zealand."

My classes are going pretty well. The teaching methods are slightly different here. In 3 out of my 4 papers (classes) I have been having guest lecturers, who are very knowledgable in the subject rather than the actual professor of the paper. This makes the subject more interesting and having different speakers is a good change of pace. In my Maori Culture and Soceity class we have been learning the history of NZ and the Maori people. My favourite fact so far is that after the first couple of arrivals of Europeans in NZ, not one person from Europe came back to the land for over 100 years... Why? Because the European sailors were the first white men the Maoris had seen. The Maoris performed the haka and Captain Cook was amused and told his sailors to dance and sing a song back. The Maoris did not take this as a joke and killed the sailors. Cook returned to Europe telling the people about the feirce natives of the land... causing nobody to dare visit for over 100 years...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0593s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb