Wellington


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
February 3rd 2007
Published: February 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Wellington CityWellington CityWellington City

Looking out over the city from the top of Mt. Victoria. We took a well earned rest after climbing the 200m to get up here. The paths were so steep.
We spent four nights in Wellington and stayed at the YHA which was one of the best places we've stayed. We had a good time and really liked the city. It's quite small for a capital.

We had great weather the whole time. We particularly liked Island Bay, a short bus ride from the inner city. It's a proper little seaside place. Really lovely. We went on a nice walk there along the sea. There were no tourists sunbathing like on every Aussie beach, instead there were lots of Kiwis there with buckets and spades or kayaks.

One evening we climbed Mount Victoria, one of the places where Lord of the Rings was filmed. It's got awesome views over the city.

Our last day in Wellington was Waitangi Day, anniversary of when the treaty was signed between European settlers and the Maoris. Just accross the road from our hostel there was a celebration going on at a park and we got to see some really good Maori shows, and some bagpipe playing from the European descendants.

The botanical gardens in the capital were lovely. A nice place to chill out for the day. We took the cable
Island Bay beachIsland Bay beachIsland Bay beach

A nice little beach we found about 5 minutes out of town. The scenery here was spectacular and everyone seemed really pleased to be there, enjoying the amazing natural environment.
car up the steep hill to the gardens and relaxed there for a while. We had lunch in the Lady Norwood Rose Garden where there were over 100 different types of roses - very pretty! We randomly bumped into Olly's old first school headteacher there. Small world!

The next day we had an early start and got the ferry to the South Island, where we spent a night in Blenheim, on the east coast. There were loads of vineyards and good wines around there. We had nice weather so just relaxed by the river before catching the bus down to Kaikoura.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

The island of Island BayThe island of Island Bay
The island of Island Bay

Loads of people kayaked and swam out to here to get away from the crowds - not that the beach was crowded.
I saw Smeagol!I saw Smeagol!
I saw Smeagol!

Zoom in on Gollom's face as it claws its way down the mountain. (I told her not to wear flip-flops!)
Rainbow fountainRainbow fountain
Rainbow fountain

We spotted this random fountain in the harbour on the way down from Mt. Victoria.
Almost camouflagedAlmost camouflaged
Almost camouflaged

After a day in the botanical gardens, my face was as red as a rose!
Elevenses in the rose gardenElevenses in the rose garden
Elevenses in the rose garden

I felt like a lady, doing what ladies do.


9th February 2007

Bird's eye view.
What a lovely view of Wellington city, the gardens look in good order and well looked after. I hope you gave poor Charlotte a hand down that slippy mountain!!!!. The boiling mud and geysers look fascinating, I was talking to one of our teachers about them and she said they absolutely STINK ( the mud that is). Look forward to some more fantastic photos. Missing you lots. Love Mum xxxxxxx
14th February 2007

Hill surfing
She actually chose to slide down the hill like this. It was so funny i just had to get her to stop so i could get a photo.

Tot: 0.203s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 18; qc: 86; dbt: 0.1362s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb