First update!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington » Eastbourne
November 9th 2015
Published: November 9th 2015
Edit Blog Post

"Kia Ora" - Hello in Mauri!!



Its been a few days since we started our trip so thought it was time to give you all an update while we can!

So by time flight arrived into Auckland on first day we didn't get to hostel until 1.30 am! We were straight up the next morning to do a drive 2.5 hours to Waitomo to see the Waitomo Caves and Glow worms. We thought we were going into the water in a boat, turns out we got wet suits and straight into a tube that keeps us afloat! In a dark cave with little light and a strong tide it was intimidating but so good to see the glow worms in the ceiling! Derek did jumping down a waterfall backwards but I chickened out... "I was very brave" says Derek :-) Stayed in a little country area with a private room (woohoo) that night.

Next day it was up again to do an hour and a half drive to Hobbiton the Movie Set of Lord of the Rings. It was mad to see all little houses set into the hills and nothing on the inside of them! Got a bit burned that day so realised the sun is v strong in New Zealand.

We drove from there to next destination where we were staying for 2 nights. Supposed to be 2 people in with us but was quiet so we got our own room! As it was an alpine area it was like log cabin style lots of wood etc and heaters extra cosy! Lots of amazing views around and on the drive there, snow covered mountains etc, pics on the Go Pro.

Sooooooo... the next day we were booked to do "Tongariro" or "The Alpine Crossing"... I called to confirm we were coming and asked was it a helicopter ride ( which made Emma talk of the office as they thought i was an 80 yr old woman!) as we hadn't looked much into it. We were informed it was a 20km hike that takes 8 HOURS!!!!! We didn't even have alpine clothing or proper hiking shoes! So we got collected before 8 am and got kitted out with hiking shoes, wind breakers etc. BUT it didn't help! To give you an idea there was a lot of uphill and a place known as "the devils staircase". At the end it seemed like we passed the same area 3 times... we were starting to think it was a maze we would never leave! No amount of gear and info can prepare you for 20km up and down a snow covered mountain! Saw some beautiful scenery with emerald green lakes and active volcanoes..... but was it worth it? Our legs don't think so!! :-) Our guide was very helpful so we suppose that's something!

Note to self: Look into what your trips involve before booking! :-)

Just drove to Wellington only here for one night then we leave for ferry to South Island early in morning.





Bye for now :-)





Muller & Bermo

Advertisement



Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1003s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb