Day 179 New Zealand, Blenheim to Hutt Via the ferry. (South to North route)


Advertisement
Published: May 20th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Hello People,



We woke up at Watsons Way Campsite and backpackers. I had a horrible headache! We showered, had bacon sandwiches for breakfast, and then played (tried too) tennis. Not for long as I really did feel yuck from yesterdays wine antics!



We updated our phones before heading to the ferry terminal at around 9am. However I received an email from the Picton ferry terminal saying that our ferry had been cancelled due to bad weather at sea, and that we would now have a new departure time of 2pm. It’s a great set up as it meant we wouldn’t be hanging around waiting at the terminal. So we left the campsite about 10.30am.



We drove to Pak n Save before the terminal for a few feel better/healthier luxuries-avocado, fruit smoothie, jerky and grapes.



We arrived at the terminal early but we just parked in line, and we also received a free cup of tea for the first ferry being cancelled.



We cooked up some pasta for lunch; it was here that we discovered after washing up that our camper is leaking out the grey water (washing up water) on to the outside… and also into the wet room-toilet. It stinks, plus it also means we are polluting which has a $10,000 fine here!!! We were a bit worried that we would leak when on the ferry but we were ok. We intend to phone up the Britz Company when we get to the north to sort this out.



The 3h20 ferry was a little rough but we were both fine. We didn’t go outside because it was quite hard to walk from the rough seas, so we stayed sat down charging the laptop and reading.



When we arrived, it wasn’t until about 5.30pm that we finally drove off the ferry into Wellington. Even though it was dark we could already feel the drop in temperature compared to the south! We drove for about 40 minutes out of Wellington until we reached a $6 camper park. It was cheap and had no facilities, but we didn’t need showers so that was fine. It said at the entrance of the car park to contact the ranger who lets you in, and obviously checks that the $6 each gets paid. We called him up, and he said the gate has been left open so to just drive in, park up and have a good night. Think he was going out as it was a Saturday night and couldn’t be bothered to come out. Result for us, as we didn’t have to pay!



We had a quick tea, with no wine (as still feeling rough). We watched the last ever Spooks!!!!! But luckily mum said there is a new Spooks film out so not all that bad! Can’t believe we started watching series one on the day we left back in October and it’s taken us 7 months to watch all 10 series!





Love V&N X


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0329s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb