Wellington/Napier


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington Region » Wellington
September 30th 2005
Published: October 1st 2005
Edit Blog Post

We crossed from the South Island just over a week ago. The weather was great and the crossing was bouncy but good (well, at least compared to the majority of the time). Managed it fine but Philpa wont be going for a career at sea!!!

Wellington was cool. First big city ... first time we had seen buildings more than 2 stories tall for some time and more than a single lane of traffic! We went to Te Papa, great national museum, but to knackering as we tried to plough round it in a day. Did the culture thing whilst there, you know galleries, parliament buildings, cayhedrals etc. Also went to Mount Victoria lookout (views over surroundings), a great protected park where lots of endangered bird species can roam safely (kiwis etc) and for a trip round the many bays (with some really good surf .. although we didnt try it). Also went for a curry ... believe it or not Wellington has more curry houses than Bradford (if you've never been, that is saying something!). Also saw the new Wallace and Gromit new movie (we had some time to kill and we cant always be grown up!!!).

From here we ventured a little up the west coast. Apart from the sea and beaches and high mountains, there isnt much to see. We did see a windmill and a doll museum (we managed to control ourselves an not visit the latter!). Also had more yummy fruit ice cream.

Then off to the very southern tip of the north island (windy) where we saw some rude looking rocks, before heading north to Mount Bruce, another sanctuary for birds where Matt made a friend in a kaka - parrot like bird. Must be his big nose! Also saw our first kiwi - mad little critters which are much bigger than we expected and v fluffy. Then we went to a hill with a v long name - the longest in the world. Philpa will pronounce it when we return. Then beaches and hills before hitting art deco Napier - spanish and californian influenced buildings.

We have just been up to Waikaremoana (Te Urewidifbwifb National Park) to some of the finest landscapes on North Island. Beautiful campsite by the lake and some grand waterfalls, all v relaxing. Also put our best feet forth and walked to lakes, miles and miles, plus uphill 300m (about 1 in 10n gradient)! Its a hard life!

At the moment we are in Gisbourne ... not the most excisitng place in the world! Only attraction is really the supermarket and petrol station, plus the little bit of Cook history. Off next round the Eastern Cape before heading towards Roturua etc.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb