touring monocle


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Warkworth
December 2nd 2015
Published: December 2nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

image.River Kwaiimage.River Kwaiimage.River Kwai

Kanchanaburi to NamTok
27th Nov Friday up at 6am for a trip up to Erewan there are 7 waterfalls with a rise of over 2000 metres. We walked up to the 5th waterfall at just over 1000 metres. At each one there was a large pool, deep enough to swim in, with very large fish that nibbled your toes when you went swimming. The walk up was good, but steep in places, and time was an issue, so didn't make the 7th waterfall.

Our driver then drove us to Hellfire Pass approx an hours drive away. We got information headsets, which were very informative describing what the prisoners of war went through, with living and working conditions. It was very moving. Did the pass backwards...which turned out to be easier, as was a long steep hike down many steps into the pass, but coming back up it was more staggered.

Driver dropped us off at NamTok railway station. Then is was a scenic 2 hour train journey back to Kanchanaburi going over the Walpho viaduct, which took 17 days and 2000 men to build in forced labour. 420 kilometres of railway was built in 20 months....

Beers at sunset under the
image.Erewan image.Erewan image.Erewan

5th waterfall
river Kwai bridge. Then found a local restaurant with no westerners in it and for 50 baht - £1 a yummy meal pickled bamboo shoots with pork and red curry.

Next day caught the train back to Bangkok 100 baht £2 And 3 hours later. Struggled getting a taxi as hadn't written the hotel down in Thai.. Finally got back, and had a free 30 minute Thai massage, that was quite painful, pressing on your pressure points..

Next day woke early and got a taxi to the floating market. A long tail boat for 100 baht - £2 and 3 hours exploring the rivers and canals, a Bangkok Venice, calling at various food/fish markets. Saw a huge iguana swimming, and a crocodile.. A local man had a crossbow.. Fed the fish off the boat, millions huge cat looking fish.

Got the taxi man to take us back to the hotel and picked the bags up for the mad dash to the airport. Like being in a dodgem car!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

image.Erewanimage.Erewan
image.Erewan

2nd waterfall
image.river kwaiimage.river kwai
image.river kwai

Health and safety..
image.kanchanaburiimage.kanchanaburi
image.kanchanaburi

Bank to Bangkok
BangkokBangkok
Bangkok

Floating market
imageBangkok.imageBangkok.
imageBangkok.

Feeding the fish..


5th December 2015

Found at last!
Great to read your blog at last ! Looks as if your having a great time don hope all is going to plan, take care we will keep on trekking you x

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0546s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb