Westmere Lake, Wanganui


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wanganui
January 23rd 2021
Published: January 24th 2021
Edit Blog Post

https://www.visitwhanganui.nz/lake-westmere-whanganui/

A few minutes drive north of Wanganui is a turn-off (opposite the service station) which takes you to the Botanic Reserve. But just past the turnoff there is an area on the right where you can park which provides you with access to Westmere Lake. I have to admit that I had never bothered to visit the lake until this week when I had 2 energetic young grandkids to entertain thanks to our long long long summer holidays. Fortunately I hadn't taken my 4-legged assistant with us as dogs are not allowed there plus there are bait traps everywhere.

It is quite hard to see the lake as you are either trying to look over flax bushes or are on the track which leads you all over the place and into areas where you wouldn't know there was a lake anywhere nearby.The kids were quite concerned at one point as they couldn't see the lake or the road but I kept assuring them it was fine and exciting and it wasn't further as the sign had said it would take us 30 minutes to walk right round the lake.

From a grandmother's point of view, the walk was long and tedious. Thank goodness I could point out supple jack they could swing off, tui they could talk to and there were plenty of photo ops. I could appreciate the areas of native bush but the kids just saw a muddy narrow track that seemed endless. 30 minutes with no end in sight is a long time when you are only 5 and 7.

Would I recommend this as an activity you should do? Yes - with reservations. The kids will get bored, the dog will have to stay in the car, your camera will probably hate the odd light. And the Munzee that shows on the app isn't there. But if you want to take a break and have a walk then this is a great place to do so.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0697s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb