Moutoa Gardens/Pakaitore


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wanganui » Wanganui
July 28th 2019
Published: July 28th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Moutoa Gardens are right near the CBD, just across the road from the river. They are a must-see if you are interested in local history and land wars. The occupation of the Gardens in 1995 helped make them well-known due in part to controversial actions that were taken there such as the destruction of the statue of John Ballance. It was difficult for many to look beyond these actions to the reasons behind the occupation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moutoa_Gardens

https://nzhistory.govt.nz/media/photo/moutoa-gardens-protest

I have added links to websites that will provide you with all the details you need. We all know I don't believe in boring you to tears with information you aren't interested in. Hopefully my photos will give you an idea of what you can expect to see. If you are travelling through Whanganui and the kids need to stretch their legs, then take a break here and introduce them to an important part of my city's culture and history. There are toilets located within the Gardens and seats where you can sit and look across at the river. Then take a stroll to the activities nearby such as the Waimarie, the Tram Shed, the Saturday Markets and many others.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0668s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb