Day 3 & 4 Waitomo/Rotorua


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Waitomo Caves
March 3rd 2009
Published: March 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Huge TreeHuge TreeHuge Tree

One of the biggest trees in the world...
DAY 3 (Feb 8th)
We left the bay of islands early and made our way back to Auckland for lunch while we picked up the rest of our tour mates. We added 19 people to fill our bus to 50 for the rest of the trip. Then we continued on to Waitomo. In Waitomo I stayed with three other girls, two Australians and a Canadian. When we arrived many of us went underground cave rafting and glow worm spotting. The glow worms look a lot like stars in the sky in the dark caves. We jumped off a few waterfalls the tallest being about 10 feet. Afterwards we ate soup and bagels while chatting with our tour guides and some of the locals.
That night we had a pizza party with every one. Pizza here isn't as good as it is back home but it works. After dinner most of us went out to the local restaurant/bar. (its a very little town) I ran into our tour guide Brad from the caving trip earlier that day and talked with him for awhile. Turns out he is also going into physiotherapy but is taking the next year off to go on a mission trip to Brasil. He was trying to get me to join their trip but that wouldn't work out at this point in time. I also got to know a few different people from my group while they tried to explain the rules of cricket to me. I don't quite understand it yet, but maybe by the time I leave Australia.

Day 4 (Feb 9th)
Today we were off early... Now to Rotorua, home of the natural hot springs. Here they use thermal energy for much of their power supply. Along the way we stopped at a sheep show... Others were more excited for this, I've seen enough sheep so it wasn't very exciting. After the sheep show almost everyone went Zorbing!
Zorbing... well it basically consists of getting in a huge transparent ball, adding a bucket of water, and rolling down a steep hill! Like a hamster...
Afterwards we finished the trip to Rotorua. Here many people went to see a little village within the city but I decided to stay back with a few others and walk around the town. There was a nice park and little shops to pass the time. That night we had a traditional Hungi dinner and watched an aboriginal concert. The entire dinner was prepared by lowering the food into a hot thermal pool and steaming it. After the concert we were planning to go to the polynesian spa next door but I got side tracked and ended up hanging out in the pool with Josh, Josh and Shannon. It saved me a little money. Tonight I stayed with two girls from Perth Australia. They weren't very friendly but it was only one night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Huka FallsHuka Falls
Huka Falls

Forgot to mention this stop...
AucklandAuckland
Auckland

View from the harbor bridge
Cave RaftingCave Rafting
Cave Rafting

very cute outfits I must say.
ZorbingZorbing
Zorbing

Rolling down a hill in a big transparent ball.


Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb