More Volcano Skiing!


Advertisement
Published: September 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

All hail Mev Berwick!All hail Mev Berwick!All hail Mev Berwick!

Jo-Ann poses by the gates of our hobbit accommodation
I suppose a benefit from having such a cold and wet winter is loads of snow on the mountains and we took full advantage a few weeks ago when we headed up to Mount Ruapehu in the central North Island for a long skiing weekend. As before we stayed in Ohakune but this time we stayed in a place called The Hobbit Motor Lodge - New Zealand's first Mev Berwick themed accommodation. It also suited Jo-Ann's stature with its low hobbit doors - lucikly for me, the beds were more Gandalf sized.

Like the last time we went skiing there (see blog from about this time last year), we got great weather, amazing views especially across to Mount Taranaki and also amazing snow - probably just enough powder to keep Keith Richards going for an entire Rolling Stones world tour.

We took the Friday off and headed up on the Thursday night so we got a whole day skiing with almost the whole mountain to ourselves. Well, not quite to ourselves but it seemed like it compared to any weekend day at Cairngorm or The Lecht. Even on the Saturday, which they reckoned was the busiest day of the season so far, we never waited more than 4 minutes in a queue for a lift or tow. Also, the runs were so quiet that you could ski comfortably at your own pace without constantly having to take evasive action.

We also had a couple of good après-ski nights at the legendary Powderkeg, a huge bar with roaring fire and cracking food. It was part of the fairly up-market Powderhorn Chateau which was made entirely of wood - it was just wood, wood, wood everywhere. In fact, I hadn't seen that much wood since the last time I went to Gav Albury's to watch a DVD.

We both remembered how to ski pretty quickly and took full advantage of the slopes, the snow and the views. I took way too many photos again especially of Mount Taranaki but it was a fantastic view so I felt justified. I was very pleased with my photo of Jo-Ann crawling with snow on her bahookie back to her skis after an outstanding wipeout. I had a few too - mostly really pathetic ones like just falling over for no reason after stopping, but I did do a classic head first face
Not a bad wee viewNot a bad wee viewNot a bad wee view

Mount Taranaki taken from Mount Ruapehu
plant. The benefit of being the keeper of camera is that the aftermath was not recorded! I also like the one of Jo-Ann after wearing her hat for 12 hours.

We're hoping to get up there again at least once if not twice more before the end of the season. Mind you, with the amount of snow there we could still be skiing in November or even December!

Back in the real world, Jo-Ann started her new job at the Australian High Commission this week. It seems she may be onto a winner - she gets paid more, is entitled to an end of year bonus, gets the New Zealand and the Australian public holidays and they also have a bar and a couple of pool tables for the poor over-worked staff! She also got taken out sailing in the harbour on Friday and got paid for it! The diplomatic gravy train is alive and well!

Next blog - Fiji. Until then, Bula!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Mount Taranaki againMount Taranaki again
Mount Taranaki again

Looking across 90kms of North Island
For SaleFor Sale
For Sale

1 bedroom apartment with wonderful views, needs some TLC
The frozen waterfallThe frozen waterfall
The frozen waterfall

Taken from the chairlift on the way up the mountain
Not a bad wee spot for lunch, eh?Not a bad wee spot for lunch, eh?
Not a bad wee spot for lunch, eh?

That's not us, by the way!
The aftermath of the big wipeout!The aftermath of the big wipeout!
The aftermath of the big wipeout!

Jo-Ann attempts a reunion with one of her skis- classic!
"Now did I remember to renew my life cover?""Now did I remember to renew my life cover?"
"Now did I remember to renew my life cover?"

Thinking about doing something a little nuts - again, that's not either of us!
Just one more shot of Mt Taranaki!Just one more shot of Mt Taranaki!
Just one more shot of Mt Taranaki!

Shrouded in mist on day 2
Bad hair day after taking off her hatBad hair day after taking off her hat
Bad hair day after taking off her hat

Separated at birth - Jo-Ann and Eddie from the Iron Maiden album covers?!


Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0614s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb