Tour of the Ring (thats really bad punning)


Advertisement
Published: January 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We drove into Lake Taupo in much need of some relaxation as well as desperate to do some laundry. We solved both of these mini problems (let’s face it when you are out seeing the world these problems are certainly not major) by checking ourselves into the De Bretts Resort. A very strange lady checked us in (for those of you who went to uni with me think Sarah Chadd with severe sunburn) and kin... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 80, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Clouds drifting into Central CraterClouds drifting into Central Crater
Clouds drifting into Central Crater

I am almost above these clouds. Pretty cool. I just the shadows they are making. Geek! Tongariro NP.
This face says "I'm done for the day"This face says "I'm done for the day"
This face says "I'm done for the day"

Shame then that i have to zig-zag walk to the bottom of the valley for 4 hours. Lake Taupo in the distance. Tongariro NP.
Life!!Life!!
Life!!

As soon as we get out of the craters and on the northern side, wildlife springs up. Tongariro NP.
Here's those meadowsHere's those meadows
Here's those meadows

This was near the end of the hike - only 4 hours to go!
Shade at LastShade at Last
Shade at Last

After 7 1/2 hours on the tramp, we were loving this shade.
Ruapehu in the DistanceRuapehu in the Distance
Ruapehu in the Distance

Back down on a normal above-sea-level height, seeing the mountain from this distance was pretty shocking to think we'd been up so high the day before
Tee OffTee Off
Tee Off

Laura gets the round of Golf underway. We played 16 holes, played for hours, had a couple of beers on the back nine and marveled at this amazingly positioned Golf Course. It is out the front of Chateau Tongariro, which stands in Whakapapa village, at the base of the active Mt.Ruapehu. I hit my first shot straight into a stream. I fished it out though.
In the roughIn the rough
In the rough

I admire my 3rd shot position, and Mt.Ngauruhoe.
Volcanic SandtrapVolcanic Sandtrap
Volcanic Sandtrap

Next hole I have less luck and end up in the bunker. Unfortunately its a dark, volcanic sand bunker. Laura captures one of my frustrated attempts at getting out.
Make it in OneMake it in One
Make it in One

Thom taking a few practice swings in the hope of making par.
"It's all in the Hips""It's all in the Hips"
"It's all in the Hips"

Laura lets fly with her drive using the Chateau as her aim.
Laura about to sink a long one.Laura about to sink a long one.
Laura about to sink a long one.

Putt, not Island Ice Tea. It would have gone down nice though on this hot January afternoon. Chateau Tongariro.
Chateau TongariroChateau Tongariro
Chateau Tongariro

At the front of Whakapapa Village, the tourist base for ascending Mt.Ruapehu, is this splendid building. Complete with snooty staff (not all) and over priced restaurent(at which we ate, getting on our glad-rags and avoiding the glares). This is an amazingly placed hotel. With a view of Mt.Ngauruhoe out of the bar window and Mt.Ruapehu, an active volcano out back, it is I am sure a great place to stay. Looks a bit 'Shining' like but you won't be alone as many people spend time in the village as they get to the top of Mt.Ruapehu (2,797m) and see the world's most active Crater lake. Most of ascending is done on a ski chair lift, as the area has many popular Ski fields.
Get out of the way!Get out of the way!
Get out of the way!

Thom gets familiar with 'Big Bertha' and unleashes one on the 6th hole. Chateau & Mt.Ruapehu fill in the blanks.
"World Famous in New Zealand""World Famous in New Zealand"
"World Famous in New Zealand"

This is a bottle of L&P - Lemon & Paeroa fizzy pop. Read the label it's comedy & really embodies the Kiwi take on things.



Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0796s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb