In New Zealand again


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Te Aroha
October 4th 2009
Published: October 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hello again to all our friends that read about our travels.
We appreciate your interest and would value your prayers while we are on our trip. We left Columbus on Thursday, 30 Sept., and stayed one night in Los Angeles. We spent the day going downtown and seeing Olvera Street, a little historic Mexican street. It hadn't changed much from when we took the children there when they were younger. We also drove out to Azusa for Jim to see some of his old haunts at Azusa-Pacific College. It had changed so much that there wasn't one building that Jim recognized. It was a closed campus so we couldn't drive through. He did think he located where the Denny's restaurant used to be where he spent most of his college nights. It was fun.
Everything went well at the Airport except we couldn't find a reliable wifi to use as we waited. I do have to be personally checked at each check point because of my new hip, but that only takes an extra 5 minutes or so. The trip on Quantas was good. I thought that 13 hours would be really hard, but we slept pretty well and it helped that we had bulkhead seats so we could get up easily.
Our friends Grace and Kenneth met us at the airport on Saturday morning. Our Friday mysteriously was lost in the International Date Line. Grace works at the University of Auckland and had to go to work. Kenneth took us up close to where we used to live to visit with a friend that has a brain tumor and isn't doing well. He was happy to see us and recognized us easily. He was especially happy to see Chrissy and didn't let go of her hand for the longest time. He was able to have a conversation with Jim which pleased his wife so much. We will go next week or so and stay a few days with his wife and visit more with him. What a blessing to see him again. When we bought the tickets in March, we weren't sure that we would be here in time to see him. Please pray for him and his family, if you think of it. His name is John Rose and he and his wife visited us in the States about 8 or 9 years ago.
The weather has thrown us for bit of a loop in changing to an abrupt cold spell that nobody, especially the weathermen, didn't expect. We'll appreciate the sun more if we ever see it again (just kidding). Enjoy the pictures. We went to a car show on Saturday afternoon and have a few pictures for John Wolfe and Ed Kaluzne.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0842s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb