Tongariro Alpine Crossing


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Taupo
April 17th 2010
Published: April 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Up again at 5.20am, picked up again at 6am, this time we are on a 50 seater coach instead of the 15 seater shuttle bus we were on yesterday.

We can tell straight away how different the weather is - it starts to get lighter and the sun starts shining.

Another tell-tale sign that the walk is going ahead is the fact that the lady comes around the bus to take our money!

In the car park by 8am, Kerry goes to queue for the toilet, 20 minutes later she returns - not at all impressed by the long drop!

As we are unsure of what lies ahead we set off in good spirits - laughing and joking.

This walk has been described as the best 1 day hike in New Zealand, it provides opportunities to experience some of the most scenic and active volcanic areas of the park.

This track winds up Mangatepopo Valley to the saddle between Tongariro and Ngauruhoe. It climbs to Red Crater (1886m), then drops down to the vivid Emerald Lakes. After passing Blue Lake the track descends around the Northern slope of Tongariro then descends further in a zig-zag to the Ketetahi Hut. From the hut the track continues down the mountain through tussock plains, then into the native forest to the end of the track.

At 18.5km the track is graded as challenging and should take between 7-8 hours.

We seem to fly from the starting point (1150m) to Soda Springs and then onto the South Crater (1660m).

However, Kerry slows this down once we get to the Red Crater (1886m) - the highest and halfway point.

We had no option but to run/slide down the scree but Kerry was so scared she froze to the spot and was getting battered by the winds!

After about 45 minutes she was saved by a knight in shining armor - no not Rob (he was at the bottom giving her daggers!) but a very kind kiwi who allowed her to hold his shoulder and walk down with him. He was very reassuring and patient and they make it down in no time - taking in the views and the aroma in the process.

Once at the Emerald Lakes we stop for a bite to eat and this also allows Kerry's legs to get back to normal (they were as wobbly as jelly).

We made it to the hut in good time and decided the smell from the long drop was too pungent to rest for too long!

We were glad to see a sign saying only 45 minutes to go, however this was the longest 45 minutes of the entire walk and the path seemed to go on forever. This was made worse by the fact that Kerry had a sore knee and had cut her hand open and Rob had a sore hip.

At the end our stopwatch told us we had made it in 6 and a half hours - amazing! Completing the crossing felt like a great achievement but did't half hurt!

Back on the bus to be shuttled back to the hostel. We have a short nap and head out for some food. We are tucked up in bed by 8.30pm!


Additional photos below
Photos: 52, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0721s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb