Taupo to Rotorua


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Taupo
April 2nd 2010
Published: April 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today we are driving straight to Rotorua (it is not that far away).

We stop off in Rotorua at a thermal pool and get our first whiff of the sulphur (imagine rotten eggs and that sums up the aptly named Rotten-rua!)

We also call in at the TAMAKI Tours office to book onto tonights Maori evening- all set for 7pm.

Once at the hostel we are pleasantly suprised - clean, spacious and en-suite plus a swimming pool!

As we are due out this evening we decide to relax. Rob went in the pool and joined in the games involving the murky water.

At 7pm we are picked up and given our tickets. We notice we are at a different table to the rest of our bus (bonus!).

We arrive at the village and our chief is chosen - Anders from Sweden.

The story starts when maori warriors come to challenge the selected chiefs. Peace is restored when the leaf of peace and friendship is picked up and the traditional maori welcome (shake hands, hold opposite shoulder and touch noses twice) is done.

Maori females then tell us more before allowing us into their village.

Rob volunteers to play a game which improves hand/eye co-ordination. 5 people each have a stick and hold it with both hands, when the lady shouts mauī (left) you run left, when the lady shouts matau (right) you run right. Rob came 3rd.

We then see how weapons are made and used within the village. Rob plays yet another game. This time there is a prize (a picture with the maori warriors) and something at stake (ME). Unfortunately the latter proved too tempting and Rob started playing. He was winning until the maori warrior moved the sticks!

Dinnertime - we go into the dining hall and are presented with a buffet which has been cooked underground in a hangi.

We are then shown how to make our own hangi and the closing ceremony commenced - this involved singing and the Haka!



Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



22nd January 2011
27.03.10 - 03.04.10 351

Cool and atmospheric... thought it was a mudpool in Yellowstone

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb