Things just get better and better


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Taupo
January 30th 2006
Published: January 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well,
Hello
Much news from down under
Have i mentioned how great this place is??
Perfect
So i will start from where i left off....
My last day in Rotorua i was walking down the street , just minding my own business, minding my own business right, yeah.... and .....just kidding ( eddie murphy comedy cd)
I was walking back from a run in the domain (park) and i heard this music. It was chanting, native music. My heart lept and i walked towards the sound. As i got closer i knew it wasn't Navajo but from the continent. In this central plaza area there were two girls dancing their native dance (healing dance) (Cree from the northlands of Canada) It was so cool to see and it made me miss the Navajo land and people i lived with for those years. Very much....It was interesting to see the local reaction to it.
Dezi, i'd like to see you dance as well. Would be cool.

After about 30 minutes started to get up and head back to my place and there right next to me watching as well was Marcus, the high jumper from Iowa State whom i competed against in the Big 12. I watched the bronco game with him and others in Auckland a couple of weeks before. Anyways, he traveled down with a girl he met, Carolina, a thai kick boxer born in Lebanon and living in Ottawa but currently working in Auckland. Got that. She is really cool and we all went out that night. Good times....

So, i said screw off to public transportation and the prices. I hitchhiked out of Rotorua to that climbing spot and got 5!! different rides trying to get to this place way out in the rural north island. All local (Kiwi) They were great... and i never had to wait any longer than 10 minutes anytime. I got to Wharepapa South and climbed for a day and a half. I was going to hitch out after bouldering in the morning but this girl i met, Shara was done climbing and was going to drive to Tongariro Nat Park to do the 3 day Circuit. So i got a ride with her there (2 hours) gave her a little for gas and i was at one of the trailheads. Free. I luckily had a little food so i set out. It turned out to be one of the best hikes i have ever done in my LIFE!!....I can't describe it. Brother, you were right...3 different Volcanoes (yes Mt. Doom in that one movie) the landscape going in and around the craters and lava flows and drainage basins of them as well as one of their peaks was like another world......
You shall see my pictures. That is all i can say...It was amazing. Up high on the peaks you were above the clouds below and the sun was intense. Then all became shrouded in mist by mid-day of both days......then cleared later ....
I was relaxing under a tree at the trail end and i looked over at one of the others who was just finishing and it was Franziska, the girl i surfed with in Raglan!...It was soo great to see her and i skipped potential rides till hers left so we could talk, then i caught one to Turangi. A good place. Good river.... great fish.....very cheap......so i ate much fish and veges and fruit and a tall glass to reward the trek of the month. I climbed at the indoor wall there in town this morning and hitched to Taupo and the lake this afternoon. A lady named shayla (on holiday from auckland) picked my up after i waited for all of 4 minutes and we headed up the road that bordered Lake Taupo. It's the largest lake in the southern hemisphere. She had Guns N Roses in the player and a cooler of beer in the back seat. No laws( or worries ) here mate. So, its was a good trip here to say the least.
I will pick up my package tomorrow i hope ma.
And then i will get in a plane
Fly up to 15,000 feet
and jump out
over the largest lake in the...

should be good......
hope to write soon..

i will hitch out after that
try for Wellington

take care everybody

love all
Jonathan

and J. A. Abb. .....much love for now you are a civilian again....Its on now brother......2006 is the year of the blu bla blu Dawwwwwgzzzz.........thats right O-train....




Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.042s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0332s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb