New Zealand - Taupo


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Taupo
November 18th 2008
Published: November 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

I am in real doodoo today. Last night we decided that because of our long day yesterday we would have a quieter day today not least because we were going on an organised Maori evening tonight.

It all started very well with a nice leisurely breakfast and discussion about which cache we would go and find. There was one on a track which would take us towards Huka Falls which is on the Waikato River. For interest this river actually flows out of Lake Taupo. We had decided that because this cache was about half way to the Falls we would return back to the Holiday Park. As the day turned out it was a very warm and sunny day which reinforced the idea that we should not walk too far.

All went well until we went on the track alongside the river. This river is a very beautiful part of the country with small pools of hot springs coming up all along the bank. You would walk around the next bend and find people lying around in the pools. Our problem and the reason why l am in deep doodoo is because in this country you are never sure what is around the next corner. The constant refrain is 'Lets just see what is around the next corner' and before you know it you are at the falls and 90 minutes from the van and at least 90 minutes to walk back agai. It doesn't help when you constantly meet people along the way. We met on lady who hailed from Glasgow and had lived in NZ for some 13 years. She was out for a walk with her dog called Hamish. She still spoke with a strong Glasgow accent with a bit of New Zealand mixed in for good measure. Anyway we rested there for some 40 minutes talking to her. We eventually got back to the van some 3 and half hours later.

The Maori evening is defininately a hghlight and something we felt we had to do. and is an absolute must see on a visit to New Zealand. We were shown how to do the Haka which believe me is really scary right up close. The whole evening started with the traditional Maori greeting and challenge where the chief Maori welcomes you and you reply with Kio Ora (welcome) and the touching of noses. Thankfully l did not have to sing for my supper. You could get away with it by miming. Well l was hungry!!!

The actual site for the evening was a place called Wairakei Terrace. The actual terrace is a magnificent silica terrace which is a mystical walkway formed by the geothermal activity which see water bubbling and steaming from deep down in the earth. The evening is then rounded off by feasting on an earth cooked hangi meal and being entertained by the exuberant and vibrant Waiora warriors performing arts group. This was certainly a brilliant eveing with a very strong WOW feeling.

Tomorrow it onto Rotarua to find out if it smells as much we have been told.





Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0523s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb