Correct exit procedure for small planes


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Taupo
September 16th 2008
Published: September 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today we jumped out of a perfectly good aeroplane...and paid for it!

We woke up feeling pretty normal and ate breakfast before heading to the airfield in our Limousine. Along with three other people we were harnessed up and waited around for the other three to jump first. After the bungy jumping Ollie was feeling much better and as we relaxed and waited for our turn everyone was quite calm.

When the plane returned we all hopped in after the briefing which, to be honest, was a little too brief. As the plane took off and started to climb we took in the incredible views of Lake Taupo. Upon arrival at Dale's exit altitude of 12000ft we were informed that an Air New Zealand flight was about to arrive and so we waited for about 15 minutes until the all clear came. After that came the green light. One last wave and Dale was off, dropping very quickly out of sight.

After saying goodbye to Dale the plane climbed to 15000 ft and it was Ollie and Mark's turn. Ollie was nearer the door and it was his turn first. Shuffling quickly to the edge of the door and with time for a last wave to Mark, bye bye Ollie. From an altitude of 15000 ft the freefall lasts for 60+ seconds. With the world spinning around below, somewhere above you the instructor expertly controls the freefall. After levelling out the view blows your mind. As you hurtle towards the ground at 200 km/h it takes your breath away.

Ollie's instructor was called Hank. Once the chute was opened he let him take control and they performed some pretty hairy spins before coming down for a nice smooth landing on our asses. Awesome!!

It is completely different feeling to the bungy because you have the initial fall and then the freefall, but what an amazing feeling. Expensive hobby but i know we would do it again, and again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.255s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.207s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb