My Wasted Time


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Taupo
June 6th 2008
Published: June 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The following takes place between 9am and 9pm.

9:30am - Alarm sounds. Dom crawls out of bed and into the shower, which is really good and helps wake him up. He moves to the kitchen to enjoy some Nutri-grain and apple juice whilst reading the paper.

10:00am - The phone rings, someone answers. Is sky diving on? The news comes, its off until later today, ring again then.

10:05am - Not to waste time, Dom sets off on a walk to the Huka Falls. The walk is not too bad, about a 3hour round trip from the hostel, with a stop for lunch at the falls. The first part of the actual path takes him through the spa park, which as a thermal stream running through it into the river. Really strange to see steam coming up of it and people splashing around. The walk follows the river, with some ups and downs, with a few sections through trees.

11:42am - Dom arrives at the Huka Falls. The water from the river gets funnelled down into a narrow section maybe a hundred metres long, before spreading back out again. The funnel effect creates great white-water throughout the fall. He stops here for a bit to enjoy his cheesey rolls, though the rain soon puts a damper on it.

12:42pm - On the return trip, Dom decides to stop at the thermal stream. Since he is without swimwear, he merely goes for a paddle, but is amazed at how warm or even hot the water is. Thats the geothermal activity of Taupo for you.

13:30pm - On arrival back at the hostel, after a wander around town, Dom rings up the skydiving people again. He knows the answer before he hears it, try again at half 3.

13:32pm- With time to kill and no activity short enough, Dom sits down to watch an episode of Shipwrecked followed by sadly, neighbours. He gets joined midway by a couple of german girls waiting to skydive but with another company.

14:51pm - A commotion occurs. The girls get the phone call they wanted, time to get in a plane, so off they run. Hopefull this may be the case for Dom, he rings up only to be told its touch and go, ring again at half past 3. Back to the TV.

15:30pm - Having walked down along the lake to the pick up point (in hope), he makes a call from the payphone. Bad news. Not going to happen today, lets try again in the morning.

16:00pm - Not to waste any more of the day, the boardies come out and Dom heads off on the half hour walk to the Taupo Hot Pools and Spa.

16:32pm - With sore feet from the walk, he is straight into the pool, and loves the temperature. Just like being in a massive bath. Gets talking to a pensioner, who it turns out used to live in Beccles, small world.

17:04pm - Dom moves over to the bubbles.

18:25pm - Having enjoyed a very nice couple of hours between the pools of varying temperature, Dom finally gets out, changes and heads back home. On arrival, he has a shower to get rid of the only minimal smell caused by the geothermal water.

19:40pm - Tea is made, and enjoyed, happy times.

20:59pm - Dom moves into the computer room, types in his access code and....

21:00pm - Tune in next time!


(Way back when, I said I would do a "24" style blog. I also wanted to do something a bit different to help make my not so amazing day, a bit more interesting!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0612s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb