A Canadian in New Zealand - Day 19- Okere Falls, Tutea Falls, Rotorua, Kuirau Park, Te Puia Geothermal Park including the world-famous Pohutu Geyser!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
April 18th 2016
Published: April 18th 2016
Edit Blog Post

When you vacation in New Zealand it is like having a different vacation every day. Today I left for Rotorua a popular destination know for its Maori culture and geothermal activity. First, however, I had ti hike the Okere Falls Track where you could see three different waterfalls - Trout Pool Falls, Okere Falls and Tutea Falls. The later is interesting because it is the highest commercially rafted waterfall in the world. I observed a few rafts tumbling down the falls. Seemed like quite the experience. Next stop Rotorua. I visited Kuirau Park to view some sulfur pools and mud flats. The smell of the hydrogen sulfide released due to the geothermal activity was ever present. To get a better appreciation of this activity I purchased a ticket for entrance into Te Puia Geothermal Park. In a very small area you observe amazing examples of the geothermal activity including sulfur ponds, mud pools, hot springs/hot pools and a number of active geysers along the Whakarewarewa Geyser Terrace. I was fortunate enough to see the eruption of both the Prince of Wales and Pohutu geysers. The latter is the biggest geyser in the Southern hemisphere blowing water and steam up to 100 metres high. I spent probably about 2 hours walking around the site. As I was leaving I entered the Kiwi house to come face to face (separated by glass) with New Zealand's flightless national bird - the endangered kiwi.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.25s; Tpl: 0.054s; cc: 21; qc: 101; dbt: 0.134s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb