Rotorua


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
February 19th 2015
Published: February 19th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We took the scenic route to Rotorua. Our satnav took us down some very straight rural roads away from the main routes. We went via Matamata but did not stop there, it was rammed with tourists seeking out a hobbit or two. As a result we arrived early in Rotorua. We found the hotel and drop our bags and went to find some lunch. The weather was so gorgeous we bought sandwiches which we had on the side of Lake Rotorua while watching a sea plane land and take off again and a paddle steamer making a trip around the lake.

We then went to Te Puia to see the mud pools and geysers. It was very interesting, but hot and smelly. Back to the hotel to freshenup then off to Eat Street, a pedestrianised area at the end of the main street. We chose a bistro that sat everyone at long tables. It was fun swapping experiences with Kiwis, Belgians, and a woman from the Lake district whose brother lives in Fareham and worked at the Portsmouth Dockyard.

Not a good nights sleep. No aircon and even with the windows shut the all pervading smell of sulpher kept us awake.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 16; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0625s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb