The Coromandel Peninsular


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Coromandel Peninsula » Tairua
February 17th 2015
Published: February 17th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We left Napier to travel up to the Coromandel Peninsular. Our journey took us through Rotorua but we did not stop as our journey takes us there in a couple of days time. However we were amazed to see steam billowing out randomly in the fields along the road, and we set the air con in the car to recirculating to reduce 'fresh' sulphur laden air stimulating our nostrils. Sure you have not eaten eggs today?

We broke our journey at Te Puke to look up a friend and ex colleague of our son Neil. This chap also called Neil is married to a Kiwi and five years ago emigrated to NZ and has set up his own Physio practice.

The area around Te Puke is Kiwi Fruit country. They grow them on big wigwam like structures, a method that is a cross between growing runner beans and hops.

As always in NZ at some point we had to cross mountains. The temperature fell to 12 up top but regained double that back at sea level.

We found our hotel which is seperate wooden cabins along the estuary in Tairua. This is a small town and as it is now the end of the summer season the five restaurants it boasts are n

ow only opening at weekends. Luckily the chippy was open.

Today, Tuesday we toured around the peninsular. Our first stop was at Hot Water Beach. A hot water spring comes up through the sand at low tide and the water is scolding. People dig a hole in the sand and mix the hot water with sea water to make a hot tub. We watched and sun bathed.

We continued around the peninsular one minute in torrential rain, the next brilliant sunshine. The roads were very twisty some going up and across the mountains and some following the coastline, but the scenery was wonderful.

Tomorrow back to Rotorua. Next blog might smell a bit!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0231s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb