Rotorua to Levin


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
October 1st 2012
Published: October 8th 2012
Edit Blog Post

RotoruaRotoruaRotorua

Enjoying one of the pools at Waikite Thermal Pools before being on our way
A bonus of this campground is that campers don’t have to wait for the hot pools to open up. Campers can access them any time in the morning. We took advantage of this and spent the morning relaxing in the wonderful thermal hot springs, enjoying pleasant surroundings, and no crowds.

From there we went on to Wai-O-Tapu thermal wonderland. We were there in time to see the Lady Knox Geyser erupting. It was fun to watch but at the same time disappointing because the geyser doesn’t erupt naturally. The staff put some soap powder into it to get it to erupt at a set time each day. After watching the geyser we walked around the extensive grounds and viewed all the attractions; sinter terrace formations, volcanic craters, steaming ground and hot springs, all in a forest setting. It drizzled off and on our whole time there but that didn’t deter us or take from our enjoyment of the place. My favourite spot was the multi coloured champagne pool with all its pretty colours! Some parts of the forest looked eerie with the trentepohlia on the trees. This algae was a bright orange colour.

From there we drove on to
RotoruaRotoruaRotorua

Mud pools on the way to Wai-O-Tapu
Taupo. We didn’t actually stop in Taupo as we took the bypass but we were still able to stop beside Lake Taupo for lunch. I stayed in the campervan because it was blowing a gale outside. E & S went and played on the lake shore collecting driftwood and pumice. They weren’t phased by the wind!

After Taupo, we drove through the Central Plateau area which has three active volcanoes. It looked very bleak and cold! We had more rain off and on while driving. The clouds were so low, we could hardly see anything of the volcanoes; Mount Ngauruhoe, Mount Tongariro, and Mount Ruapehu.

We took a brief stop in Taihape where we discovered something that must be unique to NZ... a gumboot throwing lane!

After Taihape we continued on our drive, stopping at Sanson for fish and chips kiwi style. We then drove on to Levin which is where Neil’s parents live. It was great to arrive and catch up with family.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

RotoruaRotorua
Rotorua

Man it stinks here!
Wai-O-Tapu Thermal WonderlandWai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland
Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland

Lady Knox Geyser erupting
Wai-O-Tapu Thermal WonderlandWai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland
Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland

Trees covered with trentepohlia
TaihapeTaihape
Taihape

Only in NZ?
SansonSanson
Sanson

Fish & chips kiwi style


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0402s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb