New Zealand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
May 18th 2006
Published: May 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

BarbieBarbieBarbie

The Van
CHOOSE SHEEP! No really I´m not joking! CHOOSE SHEEP!

New Zealand is full of lush green countryside, a mixture of Wales, Scotland, Ireland with small towns that look USA (ish). We landed in Auckland stayed the first night in a hostel and then thought it was time to explore this country Nadja style. So we hired a bright PINK Barbie campervan where we would cook and sleep from and cruise the north Island. It broke down twice!!! This machine was hard going and I needed to keep my foot to the floor just to make it move. The best thing about New Zealand is that you can camp pretty much anywhere in the wild. So we did just that. It only cost 35 NZ bucks a night, apparently people told us that was quite expensive, but it works out at about 15 euro a day and the petrol costs were like water.

Here we stayed on beaches similar to the ones we saw in California, saw boiling mud pools, swam in natural thermal hot pools and lived the great outdoors. The water was around 60 degrees celsius in places and you had to be careful to find the right
Barbie2Barbie2Barbie2

more of the van
spots otherwise you could be coming out with a few burns and looking a bit like Michael Jackson.

We were in the town of Rotorua where the whole town seemed to be active, sulphur was rising everywhere, from the drains, people´s backgardens, everywhere..yes, I mean everywhere which gave the town a sort of smell like Nadja´s farts.

We got quite a bit of attention from the Barbie van, and many locals asked for its picture. However one town I got the feeling I was not partcularly welcome by a group of lads who drove a white Escort XR3i. They wound down the window and shouted ¨You Fu**k*n Homo!¨at me.
I suppose they don´t like pink vans with Barbie written on them that state ¨I wanna be just like Barbie, that bitch has everything¨

Don´t mention The Mauri and the Island people. They are huge and scary. You can see why they´re so good at Rugby. You can also see why Lord of the rings was shot here. The scenery in places is out of this world.

After all this fun it was finally time to move on to Chile......TO BE CONTINUED.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Barbie3Barbie3
Barbie3

ready to jump! Outside its freezing but in over 40 degrees celsius
KenKen
Ken

Naked waterfall.
Attention seekingAttention seeking
Attention seeking

ummmmmmm! ¨You fu*k*n Homo!¨ Shouted the boys.
I enjoy being KenI enjoy being Ken
I enjoy being Ken

small fish in a big pond. I quite like the role of Ken.


Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0678s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb