The Start of The Tour


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
February 13th 2010
Published: February 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Steamy RotoruaSteamy RotoruaSteamy Rotorua

The whole part was full of steamy pools
Now we're off round NZ in a new vehicle - big enough to accomodate 7 people plus luggage. So who's coming to join us?
We completed our spell in Auckland with a visit to Kelly Tarlton's Underwater world - followed by a little trip along the bay to Mission Bay (attractive conventional beach resort), Ladies Bay and Achilles Point in evening sunlight. Yesterday, we spent the forenoon at the Museum looking at
a) Maoris' Pas and War Canoes. (The beedy eyes on the wood carvings made me a bit uncomfortable.)
b) Trays etc of wildlife exhibits. (Lots of butterfly wings, collections of live beetles, grubs and other tasty items.)
c) A film about mangrove swamps. (There's quite a few round Auckland.)

While driving round Auckland we've been entertained by the Vanity Number Plates on display on some cars. We're competing to find the best one. Samples so far include 1SHEEP, SHECAT,M1GIRL and PSBLTY.

To-day, in our new car, we visited the Glow Worm caves at Waitomo (a novel experience enjoyed in absolute silence) and picnicked by a stream watching kids playing in and out of the water while one Maori mum entertained the adults with her guitar.

Here,
Goat IslandGoat IslandGoat Island

Crews practicing their canoeing
tree ferns still grow like weeds, and we find lots of Agapantha and Monbretia by the roadside (the spelling is Mary's). They do seaplane flights round the bay - but that sounds too pricey by far. We're on a fault line here at Rotorua, so there's advice about what to do in the event of Earthquake or Flooding. Mary's too tired to worry about it and I haven't read it yet so let's hope it doesn't happen to-night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Goat Island CaveGoat Island Cave
Goat Island Cave

Approaching


Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0548s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb