Blue Lake


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
December 7th 2007
Published: December 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

It really does hum here in Rotorua! Not the whole of Rotorua, but most of it. A strong sulphur-type smell, mostly unpleasant, but strangely a bit addictive...

We're back on board the Blogmobile now, after an extended sojourn in Taupo. Been in a semi-comatose state for a few weeks now, chilling out in The Van. Now it's time to wake up and smell Rotorua! It's almost Christmas, I can't believe it! We've got 16 weeks left in NZ. Time is going so fast!

We're staying at Blue Lake Top 10 Campsite, directly opposite the Blue Lake and about 6 km away from Rotorua city centre. It's set in bush land, complete with authentic bush bugs the size of bats. It seems we've been given the pitch where all the hover flies of Rotorua gather to breed.

We arrived on Tuesday and had planned to get out on the lake on our inflatable boat the next day but rain stopped play. And the next day. We've booked a few more days here so hopefully we can try the boat when the weather improves. I'm not so sure about this boat... I've got visions of it bursting like a balloon on some rocks in the middle of the lake, BANG! Ptttttttthhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, as we scramble around trying to hold onto the remnant of the once boat... Still, nothing ventured :-/

...Steve's put two 7's in the same 9-square and shouted, 'you silly donut, it's an 8 you b*st*rd'. He's on puzzle 86 of Book 3 of Mensa Absolutely Nasty Sudoku, a birthday present I got him... He's got a helicopter lesson booked for tomorrow afternoon, and he's been entered for the Flight Radio exam for next week sometime. 'ALFA ROMEO SIERRA ECHO, READING YOU FIVE' . 'ROTORUA, ROGER, BRAVO UNIFORM MIKE'.




Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



9th December 2007

rude words
Some people....good to see you flouting the rules of the travel blog. Sounds like you're having a fab time - looking forward to hearing about Christmas pudding icecream and how you're going to fit a turkey in the van oven.
9th December 2007

Just checking your Blog
Glad to hear all is ok.Sounds like you are having a ball.Best wishes for Christmas and look forward to reading more of your travels.Cant wait for a lift in the Chopper, Litchie !!!!!!

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0533s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1024kb