Hopping Off the Saddle to "Wwoof"


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
December 3rd 2007
Published: December 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well, following a week touring on the bicycle, I’ve hopped off the saddle to spend some time to a have a few good chuckles with New Zealanders (aka “kiwis”). Wwoofing (“willing workers on organic farms”) is a wonderful way in which to do this. In case others only have a vague idea of this wonderfully simple network in which “willing workers” volunteer a part of each day helping out with farm (or other settings) responsibilities in exchange for room and board. The following is a summary borrowed from the Wwoof New Zealand web site @ http://www.wwoof.co.nz/:

“WWOOF New Zealand
Living and Learning the Organic Way
• WWOOF is a world wide network where volunteers ("WWOOFers") live and learn on organic properties. WWOOF volunteers offer their help on the farm and in return they learn about biological farming. Food and accommodation is provided. WWOOF began in 1971 and there are now many WWOOF organisations around the world.
• WWOOFers live with families and get hands-on experience with organic farming, permaculture, earth building, cooking, crafts, wine, cheese and bread making, alternative energy... Hosts appreciate having help with projects on their land and sharing their lifestyles with others. Hosts and WWOOFers enjoy the cultural exchange. You can read a report on WWOOFing written by two WWOOFers. The Newsletter also has information about what's happening with WWOOF.
• WWOOF is a enjoyable, educational and safe way to travel and get to know the people in the country. WWOOF is an intercultural experience that promotes understanding and tolerance. WWOOFers like the idea of being able to give something back to the country they are travelling in.”

I’m finding “wwoofing” to be a quite a popular means of travel, education, and discovery for many backpackers visiting New Zealand. In fact, I’m inclined to think there as many or more farms hosting “wwoofers” than in Canada. I’m presently helping a marvelous couple at their B&B. Arriving yesterday morning, we spent to the day preparing an existing deck being extended, purchased materials, and installed 50% of the floor joists - it’s quite a fascinating project having built other constructs except decks. In exchange for working a full day, I was granted today to take time and explore the neighbouring city of Rotorua. It’s a unique opportunity to genuinely relate and share experiences with “locals” of the country you’re visiting……After dinner, we played a card game popular during high school - “A_ _ hole.” Great Fun!!!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb