Grade 5 and still alive!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
October 1st 2005
Published: October 2nd 2005
Edit Blog Post

Right today no more pansy rapids - we booked onto a grade 5 expedition with Kaituna cascades - including 2 waterfalls one 8metres high. Much more adrenaline with this raft though only lasting 50 mins. We lost one of our crew on one of the waterfalls but thankfully caught up with her downstream - a fantastic experience which only left me wanting more!
Rob then tandem kayaked down the same water - i camcordered trekking by foot through the forrest - awesome and something special - a must do !The guides were great and v. experienced - competing abroad in rafting competitions. Got some great action photos - see below.

Rob - Rafting day was very wet and cold but we still ventured on to a fantastic ride lasting a good 50mins. From the word go it was pure rapids and our hearts were pumping going down the 1st waterfall. The pressure and power of the water was incrediable. The big waterfall was a grade 5, its was high and you could hear the full force of the 8m fall. Looking at the pictures you can see how the raft goes vertical and the boat filled with water and the rapids almost took us out of the boat. Me and Dave were holding on for dear life. Later on down stream I heard a cry from the back of the boat and the girl on my far left was flung out of the raft and ended up being taken fast down stream hitting a few rocks on the way!!!!!!!!!!!
We had lunch and then I was placed in a kayak for pure fun hitting the rapids hard and being thrown about by the sheer force of the Kaituna. The kayak was a great experience and you had to paddle hard and fast or else the kayak would capsize. Waterfall was frightening in kayak and we ended up against the rocks flying down completely at the mercy of the waterfall. TOP NOTCH well worth the money.........


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



2nd October 2005

MAD
Looks like an adventure for pure lunatics! Glad to hear you both survived it.
3rd October 2005

BigBro
Adrenaline Junkies or what. Is this the perfect 'LADS' holiday? What's next? Bungie jumping into a pool of sharks with a couple of pork chops strapped to your head?? Sounds fantastic. Canh almost smell the testosterone swilling around when I look at the pics.
4th October 2005

whaoooo
for fffff sake man who said its an easy ride

Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 72; dbt: 0.0606s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb