three days of comfort


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
October 11th 2007
Published: October 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

i want for nothing, but a hot shower.

the next three days at tarawera pass quickly and comfortably with no thoughts of quick escapes in the middle of the night. here we eat simple, healthy, and lovely food from the garden. whatever can be lovingly and thoughtfully thrown together. no cold sour cream pastas or canned spaghettio-s here. i barely even touch my horded food supply of granola bars and a loaf of bread.

taryn gives me my first lesson in bread-making which results in pizza dough which does not rise. don't worry; we will be successful at a later date. taryn, the indepedent, world traveler also inspires me to teach english in a million countries, move to antarctica to save money, as well as meet up with her later to help build a permaculture hostel in argentina. here, i dream that i will never be lonely and will wander the earth happy with no troubles at all.

also, i fall in love with the expressions "good on you" as well as the friendly term "mate" and vow to someday gracefully incorporate them into my vernacular.

the only downfall of the three days is the ridiculously cold shower i take in the outdoor, open-to-the-air, wwoofer bathroom. i convince myself that if i am to be a camper and a world traveler, i must be able to endure and relish these cold showers. but, it is awful. and i suspect there are still the soapy remnants in my hair to indicate how long i actually lasted.

unfortunately, like all things travel, this three day period comes to an unfinished end. the family is off to fiji; i'm off to liz's partner's camping ground in the coromandel region to help look after the dogs and the campground in their absence.

also, i eat a lot of whittaker chocolate bars at tarawera. perhaps, chocolate makes everything more comfortable?

Advertisement



2nd November 2007

reunion?
might you get to stay with them again when they return from fiji? i wanna hear more stories from there.

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0346s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb