finally content


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
October 9th 2007
Published: October 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

rotorua, a hotbed of geothermic activity, is known for its bubbling geysers, sulphuric smell, and natural hot pools. the rotorua bustop... has a hotpool outside for your feet which you're meant to relax in while waiting for your bus.

i spend monday afternoon wandering around the lake, taking in the smells, and waiting for my new farm family to pick me up. at 5pm, i return to the bustop from whence i came to sit in the rain with my bare feet soaking in the hot pools. what luxury. buses come and go; the rain comes down. i admire my brand new lightweight rain jacket and convertible hiking pants/shorts while wondering if i will be abandoned at the bustop. and then, as i get nervous for no reason, a pretty outdoorsy, earthy looking woman approaches and says "are you tracy" and i say YES! she hugs me! my first new zealand hung. then, i hug awkwardly hug talia, the 13 year girl besides her as well, we pick up my bags and throw them in the car. it turns out i actually have just met talia, the daughter and taryn, the cousin. in the car, i met liz, the driver, and the woman who i am actually in the care of.

i almost immediately feel at ease and i'm so damn grateful to have found this warm, earthy family. i accompany them to first watch a bit of talia's dance class and then liz and taryn's ceroq class. eventually, we leave the town and drive the short drive to liz's home which is right on beautiful lake tarawera. surrounding by bushy hills and a huge lake and lots of nice land. this is the type of place you would move halfway across the world to call home.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0538s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb