Rotorua


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
March 4th 2007
Published: March 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We stayed in Rotorua for a few days, travelling down via Auckland...8 hours on a bus great! Our first impression hit us as soon as we walked off the bus...it smelled like rotten eggs! Rotorua is one of New Zealands most dynamic thermal areas hence the smell due to the release of sulphur...not particularly pleasant but it does mean lots of thermal pools in which to soak at the end of the day!

We checked into Spa Lodge Backpackers which featured it's very own thermally heated spa...probably the one redeeming feature, never mind, it was cheap!!

We visited Kuirau Park, a volcanic area which features a thermal lake (quite impressive!), pools of boiling mud as well as a few mineral pools. It really is surreal to walk across a bridge over a virtually boiling lake...can't really describe the feeling although I quess hot and sweaty would just about cover it!!!

We headed over to Ohinemutu, a small Maori village featuring architecture with elaborate carvings, including St Faith's Anglican Church...an interesting mix of Maori and European culture! There is also a glass panel with an image of Christ wearing a Maori cloak!

We took a scenic stroll around Lake Rotorua ,which was formed by a volcanic erruption, before spending a couple of hours at the Polynesian Spa. This was a definate highlight with thermal pools ranging from 36 - 42 degrees, it was a good chance to relax.

Our second day was a little more chilled, we hit the shops for a couple hours before visiting the Rotorua Museum of Art and History to soak up a bit of the areas history and catch a couple of exhibitions...one was a room full of bras!! Quite unexpected!! We popped into Rotorua Art Village on the way and had a look at a small textile exhibition and chatted to a ceramicist firing up her kiln for a Raku firing...some things are the same wherever you are in the world!

A good couple of days which gave us the chance to relax and prepare ourselves for the next part of our journey...!


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Hot and steamy!Hot and steamy!
Hot and steamy!

Crater Lake in Kuirau Park
Amazing contrasts.Amazing contrasts.
Amazing contrasts.

Crater Lake in Kuirau Park
A head made of stone...A head made of stone...
A head made of stone...

...not unlike Katie's!!! :-)
Arghhh!Arghhh!
Arghhh!

Scary face!
Black swan!Black swan!
Black swan!

On Lake Rotorua
Rotorua MuseumRotorua Museum
Rotorua Museum

The old bath house
Night time spaNight time spa
Night time spa

It really was green!


11th March 2007

Rotarua
Thanks Katie - We're using your blog as a travel guide. Rotarua is where the wedding is - not sure I'm looking forward to the smell of eggs! Looks like you're having fun - we're not far behind you!

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0658s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb