Bay of Islands / Paihia


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Islands » Paihia
February 28th 2007
Published: March 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We decided to get the bus up to Paihia to explore the Bay of Islands. We stayed in the Pickled Parrot backpacker hostel, which was very nice and provided free breakfast, washing powder and bike hire...all very much appreciated...more on the bike hire later!! We explored the beach a little on the evening we arrived and treated ourselves to dinner out, yet again blowing the budget...we truly are the worst backpackers ever!!

Next day we decided on a bit of walk, we headed to Waitangi to the Treaty Grounds and took in the amazing views and beautiful Maori carvings at the Te Whare Runanga (meeting house) It was here on February 6th, 1840, that the Treaty of Waitangi was first signed between Maori and the British Crown. We saw the Ngatokimatawhaorua (try saying that after a few beers!) one of the world's largest Maori ceremonial war canoes all before heading off on a walk through the Mangroves to see Haruru Falls.

On our second day Johann decided that it would be a good idea to borrow the free mountain bikes from our hostel and explore a bit further afield. A good idea you may think...yes, but not considering I
Taiputuputu Pahi BeachTaiputuputu Pahi BeachTaiputuputu Pahi Beach

Our local beach!
have not been on a bike since the age of ten!! After a wobbly start and a secret fall (Johann didn't see!!) we headed off to Opua with the intention of having a leisurely lunch and a nice swim to cool off. Perhaps we should have done our homework and found out that in actual fact Opua is a harbour/ferry port with one small cafe and nowhere to swim. The journey between Paihia and Opua is also VERY hilly (when we say hilly they could probably be better described as small mountains!) However we did make it, I threw only one strop although swore at the bike on more than one occasion!! I still have the bruises to show for this little expedition and Johann is now talking about renting bikes in the next destination!

On the third day we headed out to sea on a full day boat trip. After cruising around the Bay of Islands for a couple of hours we spotted some Dolphins!! We quickly got kitted up with mask/snorkel and flippers before complete chaos ensued as around 18 of us slipped into the water and swam with the dolphins. Well...when we say swim with them what we actually mean is manically attempt to catch up with the Dolphins whilst humming to them through our snorkel!! It must have been an amusing sight! We stopped for lunch at a very pretty bay before cruising around for another couple of hours seeing some of the other islands and sights around the Bay including the Hole in the Rock. A fantastic day!








Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

The Hole in the RockThe Hole in the Rock
The Hole in the Rock

We sailed straight through it!


8th March 2007

wow!!!!!!!
That place looks amazing! xx
13th March 2007

It looks so so amazing. I can just picture Katie humming through her snorkel! Out of interest what song was it because I've heard dolphins have quite an eclectic taste in music. Take care.

Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 13; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0676s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb