Coast to coast


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Orewa
July 11th 2012
Published: July 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Driving north over the harbour bridge. Waiwera Thermal hot Pools and Spa looked very popular with the locals (what kid wouldn't want to go down a heated water slide on a cold day?) but we decided just to go for a stroll along the pretty beach and continue up the coast.

Orewa was another nice beach and we stopped for coffee and cake in the park. There are quite a few walks in the area. We chose to tramp around Alice Eaves reserve. Although some of us ended up a little off-grid the entire area was lovely with native forest remnants, an estuary, nice views (not from the lookout though) and shady spots to sit.

Next stop was the Honey Centre where we tasted lots of honeys as well as meads and liquers. Yum! Tash bought some blueberry honey and I got a lip balm with active manuka 😊

Continuing north we wanted to have a paddle in glassbottom kayaks at Goat Island Marine Reserve just outside Leigh but they seemed closed for the winter, it was such a lovely spot though so we had a quick wander and spotted a variety of birdlife.

We drove across to the west coast, the beaches are not as accessable from the main road although the views were magnificient as the sun set. We were all a bit over driving so we stopped briefly at Helensville then straight back to Auckland.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb