Bungee off Bridge and Wine on Waiheke


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland » Waiheke Island
July 12th 2012
Published: July 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We made an impulse decision this morning to do the Auckland Bridge Bungeewhich was really cool. The walk under the bridge has nice views over the harbour. The water is just so clean and clear, quite impressive for an industrial port. The 4 of us leapt out over the water where just minutes later a pod of dolphins swam through. Wayne even enjoyed the walk, as a spectator he got a taste of the bridge climb.

The boys dropped Tash and I at the ferry where we caught the 11am Waiheke Explorer Tour ($49 includes the ferry $35 plus all day bus pass $9 plus an island tour).

Waiheke is beautiful - every cove and bay and hill a picture postcard view. Although our tour guide Glen didn't seem to approve we abandoned our tour at Onetangi for a sumptous lunch of stuffed olives, quesadilla and french onion soup accompanied by our first local wine at Charlie Farley's. Luckily enough Luke at the cafe spoke to Royce the driver of the next tour and we joined them for the bit we missed.

A quick browse around the main town of Oneroa then we jumped on a bus to the first winery on the island. We met the winemaker and the chef as well as their handsome dog, tasted some really nice wines, wandered around the vineyard, took some photos and would have bought way more than 2 bottles if we didn't fly home tomorrow with bags already close to weight limits.

The buses are so convenient, who would've thought you could do a wine tasting tour by public bus? Do check what is open during winter though as a lot of things appear to shut or slow down.

Our ferry ride back to Auckland was hilarious (not sure how much of that was due to wine tastings) and very picturesque as the sun set.

When we got back to the apartment the gentlemen had not yet returned from their extra trip to Devonport (to check out more WW2 tunnels) following a museum visit they all were impressed by. Apparently the museum is huge and there was a girl singing traditional songs that was really good.

We wandered down Queen Street where everyone decided on various take away (so many yummy choices) followed by Toro Churro mmmmm.

Us girls decided to continue our night with a pub crawl we'd seen advertised and maybe a visit to Freddie's Icehouse but the first option turned out to be pretty lame and the second ridiculously overpriced and empty so we hung out at QF tavern with 2 for 1 drinks which turned out to be pretty fun.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0648s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb