Day # 117 - 120


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Northland
October 6th 2015
Published: October 6th 2015
Edit Blog Post

After leaving Uretiti we made our way down the coast to Mangawhai. Stopping at both Waipu Cove and Langs Beach on the way. We are definitely starting to get into the more populated areas, so It’s pretty hard to get a picture on the beach without people in it! My pick out of these 2 beaches would have to be Waipu Cove. Has a lovely a sheltered area at the Northern end where kids can play on the rocks and in the stream. It’s a very pretty area.

We have been in Mangawhai for the last few days catching up with friends and enjoying this stunning area. I wouldn’t perhaps want to holiday here in the peak of summer as I could imagine it would be absolute bedlam. There are 3 must do’s here:



Mangawhai Heads Lookout and walk along the beautiful surf beach and estuary.
Mangawhai Heads Coastal Track – This leaves from Mangawhai Heads Surf Beach and takes you down the beach for about 45 minutes then splits into a loop track that either leads you up high onto the ridgeline and out to the Northern Point or alternatively around the rocks and bays and out to the Northern Point. This track needs to be done closer to low tide if you want to attempt the scramble around the rocks and rocky bays. We left about half tide and we did the rocky beach track 1stonly to find we had to get our shoes wet (and almost my shorts, unfortunately this is the joy of having short legs!). The track takes about 3 hours and there are quite a few steep steps to give the old legs a workout. The views on this track are fantastic.
Te Arai Beach sits south of Mangawhai. This is the perfect place to plonk yourself in the summer. A surf beach with gorgeous fine white sand (yes it squeaks).



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0323s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb