flipping great.


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Northland » Paihia
September 16th 2005
Published: September 17th 2005
Edit Blog Post

A hole in a rockA hole in a rockA hole in a rock

holey rocks batman!
Hi now in Paihia in the bay of islands and yesterday it was beautiful weather and today well it has gone somewhat downhill and has been raining. Staying in another YHA hostel, amazing room like a studio area with two double rooms attached, but there is noone booked in the other room at present and so we have it all to ourselfs. The only thing that would make it better is having a kitchen in it as well, as the shared one is tiny for the amount of people in the hostel at present. Got our own balcony with sea view and very clean place, again only for 8 pound a night!

Enough about the hostel yesterday we took acruise of the surrunding coast with Kings cruises, fab scenery and got to see some dolphins and not only that m,ad Dave then proceeded to take the oportunity to get in a swim around with them. They were huge, much bigger than any others we had seen. The sea was very choppy and apparently freezing.

Dave here - yes it was a flippin fab encounter - at first we were put in a net and then set free when they
Waitangi meeting houseWaitangi meeting houseWaitangi meeting house

Where the treaty began.
came close. Didnt see much at first - just the distant bluey green murkiness of the sea, but then from right beneath us came a large pod - closer and closer, the more there was, the closer they came. Then suddenly one came right underneath us which i could reach out and touch as they cruised past. Apparently 3 of them were getting it on with each other?
They hung around for some time before eventually became disinterested and swam off - cool!

Gem back- after that excitement we then headed off to the hole in the rock, no guesses what this was but it was huge and can fit a boat through as the captain of the boat did part way. Then back to harbour through some of the worst waters we have been in the boat was being chucked all over the place and the crew coming round and asking if we awere okay didn't reasssure me.

Today we have visted the waitangi treaty grounds and haruru falls. The weather is looking a wee bit better but then after I say that it will probably pour down. Also we are putting on some photos for the
Pahia balconyPahia balconyPahia balcony

another awesome view
previous couple of blogs so have a peek.

Take care.,



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

3 little dolphins are we3 little dolphins are we
3 little dolphins are we

Mr and mrs flipper and gooseberry


17th September 2005

Looks as if you are having a brilliant time. Look forward to the blogs
17th September 2005

dolphins
What an amazing experience! The dolphins look so beautiful. We all arrived safely home, the jet lag has hit us and we just want to sleep all the time - not looking forward to Monday -back to work! How's my little lambs doing - Jack, Jill and Troy - no blowing up I hope?

Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 73; dbt: 0.0854s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb