Cape Reinga


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Northland » Cape Reinga
March 16th 2008
Published: June 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After leaving The Pickled Parrot and Bay of Islands behind, we headed for Cape Reinga, which is at the top of the North Island. We decided to take a tour from Kaitia, instead of taking Rocky as many cars get swept away in the tides.

The bus picked us up in the morning and we went along 90 Mile beach - which is a highway. We could see the Hole in The Rock in the distance, and hundreds of fisherman scattered along the 90 miles, who have entered into a fishing content for Red Snapper.

We stopped at some sand dunes, and were given a toboggan. It took us ages to climb up the thing, and then just seconds diving down the big dunes. Loads of fun, even though I was left digging sand out of my ears for the next few hours.

Great fun watching the coach navigate through the windy roads, and even better when another one was coming in the opposite direction. Biggest rules the road, and the other vehicle just has to get out of the way.

The Cape itself was lovely and a lighthouse was situated at the end of a concrete pier. Either side was the Tasman Sea and the Pacific Ocean meeting in waves in the middle.

Once we had finished the tour, we jumped back into Rocky and went to see the Kaori forest. These trees are thousands of years old and are truly nature’s giants which tower high above you. Really an amazing site to see, and now I know how it feels to be in Lord of the Rings with the Giant Trees.

Next stop….Coromandels.



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0249s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb