New Plymouth and Americana


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » New Plymouth
February 28th 2017
Published: February 28th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Onwards to New Plymouth 20th February



Forward to New Plymouth, and giving the bird to the Motor Inn as we left Waitomo it was down to Taranaki for the next few days. Having the extra day took the pressure off having to try to pack all we wanted to do into a short period of time.

The drive down, again takes you through some spectacular scenery with undulating hills and windy roads.

Unfortunately the weather was not the best but we did get some sunshine during the day.



As we approached New Plymouth we kept seeing these old American cars and arriving at the Hotel, there were more in the car park.



We had arrived at the beginning of the 'Americana' festival, an annual event when American car enthusiasts get together for a jamboree. They spend their time going from town to town around Taranaki and the final two days (after we'd left) cruising the streets of New Plymouth. In total there were some 700 cars of all shapes and sizes. This was their 10th Anniversary

I'm not a connoisseur of these vehicles so you'll have to make your best guesses from the pictures.



Anyway, they were their owners pride and joy and we were to see loads of these cars over the days we were here.



New Plymouth is dominated by Mt Taranaki and surrounded by lush farmland, so plenty of dairy cows. Hopefully we are going to see Mt Taranaki in all her glory but when we arrived she was covered in cloud.

Interesting Hotel, same chain as Bay of Islands but a more city hotel, growing from a motel to an upmarket hotel. Also catering for the locals, the all you can eat you buffet with discounts for seniors (US).

They also catered for birthdays parties, young and old and included the pool area!!!

Anyway, the SENIORS buffet wasn't too bad!!!



Our first morning and onto the walkway that runs along the waterfront, not attractive but a good cycle way it extends for some 17 kilometres.

The Walkway brings you to Puke Ariki landing where you come across the kooky kinetic sculpture of the Windwand, this is by the eccentric sculptor Len Lye, a patron of the city.



We had a great brunch in a restaurant called Arborio, dinner menu looked good!!!



A surprise of the city was the number of Art Deco/Spanish Mission Buildings.

And then to cap it all you have probably New Zealand's best art gallery, the Govett-Brewster a shiny, mirror reflective building, looking stark but beautiful at the same time.



The Americarna was going to dictate our timetable as they leave New Plymouth each day to cruise through to out lying towns.



So the afternoon was a trip to Dawson Falls and hopefully see the top of Mt Taranaki. Mt Taranaki is in the heart of Egmont National Park and the volcanic cone dominates the landscape, Mt Taranaki is the youngest of three large volcanoes with the last eruption some 350 years ago, the experts say that the mountain is overdue for another go.

Access to the mountain are via North & East Egmont and for trip Dawson Falls. When we got to the car park at the falls it was not going to be our day, the mountain was enshrouded in cloud and mist.

Their are a number of walking trails to the falls so we headed down the steps for a look, the more intrepid could go down to the base to Wilkies Pools.

Anyway we had a hike to the 18m high falls which was enough and back to the Dawson Falls lodge for a welcome cuppa and piece of cake.

Well it was 4 o'clock!!!



Our plan was to drive down to the Surf Highway 45, which runs from Hawera to New Plymouth, we joined it at Opanake with the idea of stopping at Okurukuru Winery for an early supper in the Bistro overlooking the Tasman Sea.

Let me tell you that you don't see many waves crashing ashore when you drive on the Surf Highway, there are some black-sand beaches that are 2-4 kilometres off the road. But mostly the drive undulates through farmland, mainly dairy which being a nerd for cows I enjoyed.

As we drove round towards the winery, Mt Taranaki started to reveal herself bit by bit. Apparently when you reach Okurukuru you have a fabulous view of the mountain from the winery steps, when we arrived the bloody place was shut, only opening Wed - Sun.



Well at least we got a view of Mt Taranaki, with only a bit of cloud on!!!



Out then in the evening to an Italian restaurant, the Bella Vita, a short walk but able to watch all the American cars cruising the streets!!



Wednesday, a more leisurely day, retail therapy for LJ, it's the end of season summer sales and a bargain was obviously in her sights!!!

I will never, ever understand the female mind when it comes to shopping!!!

Anyway afterwards a good coffee with a tart au citron at the lovely cafe Petit Paris.



In the evening it was back for dinner in The Arborio, date night for us people watching, mainly couples using their mobile phones and hardly saying a word to each other the whole time they were sat in the restaurant.



Thursday, our last day in 'the Naki' and we were determined to get the Okurukuru winery out of our system.

We arrived on a glorious morning and as duly stated in the wineries blurb, 'enter the foyer, turn around and discover the beauty of Mt Taranaki, surrounded by the Kaitake and Pouakai Ranges'.

This winery doesn't have a Cellar door yet, but produces a very nice Chardonnay of which we had with a nice Bistro lunch.

Purchased a couple of bottles as you do.???



Our only regret here was not going back out Mikes Organic Brewery, a place we passed on the way into New Plymouth to sample the legendary Mikes Pale Ale!!!



The 24th tomorrow (my birthday) is a long day.

We're heading to the East coast and because of all the festivals going on coming at the weekend, accommodation is scarce (the type we want).

So it's an 8 hour drive up to Gisborne for a couple of nights in an apartment hotel which turns out to be an Adventure in itself!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 11; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0545s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb