Singapore and home


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Kapiti Coast
November 24th 2012
Published: November 25th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Safely home again. Great trip, but lovely to be home.

Singapore was fun, as usual. But we didn't find our multi-story golf emporium, so my plans for presents crashed.

We did discover the real power of monsoon rain - wow - it RAINS!

The Singapore night safari at the zoo was interesting and some parts of it were fascinating. But of course it was expensive ($24 for two beers; no thanks) and crowded. Very clever, with 'trains' going throughout the evening around the exhibits and a show with the animals.

Super store, Mustapha's, has got more crowded with stock, and it seems more expensive than in the past, we did just as well in a Chinatown department store for stuff for Davie.

An evening on the roof of our hotel after an excellent dinner in a hawkers' emporium was great. The dinner of roast duck was plentiful and tasty, for $9! Then I think we paid that per drink on the roof while we watched searchlights and laser lights lash the city towers. Quite spectacular.

A long planned trip (forever put off in the past) was to the Changi Museum. This was well worth while. Of course it was very moving as my Mother lost a number of her nursing friends during that time to the Japanese privations and cruelty.

It is amazing; all these places we have visited over the past few years, how they all (apart from Aussie and the Islands) have horrible histories and how they are all shaped by wars, rebellions, invasions, political and religous excesses and unbelievable privations for the ordinary people.

We are darn lucky down here in NZ - we have lived through peaceful times, had education and opportunities that many people we have seen could only dream about.

Thank goodness.



The end.../

Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0632s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb