Napier - art deco capital


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Hawkes Bay » Napier
January 29th 2008
Published: January 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Spent a most enjoyable day wandering round this city. It was devastated by an earthquake in 1931, and rose again in fashion. They found that the lagoon had emptied and the land risen, so more room for planned development was available. It is certainly well worth a visit. Doubtless you can find all that on the web, with pictures. I also found out a lot about possums from the possum shop. Hope you like these pictures. Tomorrow we move down a bit, to a small village half way to Wellington.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

clarionclarion
clarion

in the park, plays a tune every half hour.
king kongking kong
king kong

climbing over the roof - with an ice cream!
Pania of the rockPania of the rock
Pania of the rock

a moari legend, she married a human - or wanted to - and was restrained underwater by her relations.
aahaah
aah

mother duck brings her ducklings to the fountain every morning, where they are helped in and out by passers by. they also get well fed, then helped out in the evening - so the man cutting the grass told me anyway!
christmas decorationschristmas decorations
christmas decorations

are high up in the Norfolk pines, and its a job to get them down.
promenadepromenade
promenade

after the earthquake all the rubble was bulldozed to the seafront, and the gardens were planted on top. They are lovely now, lots of flowerbeds and pools.
the beachthe beach
the beach

is not very inviting, and in fact the currents are dangerous. Nice to watch as the waves are pretty big, and further down near the docks, it was very splashy.
how sensiblehow sensible
how sensible

take a bit of responsibility for yourself!
in the parkin the park
in the park

was this waterfall, merrily gurgling, so I snapped it.


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb