Go East


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » East Coast » Gisborne
January 21st 2008
Published: January 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Weds 9th Jan:
Changes buses again today as Chris and I are heading to the East Cape. we drove along through many coastal villages and beaches along the very scenic Highway 35 to Maraehako Bay retreat, the most amazing seafront accomodation.
After checking in we went for a walk along the rocks and onto the beach to take a few photos. We were having a group meal so we all contributed and enjoyed dinner with a few drinks. We sat around a huge fire for the remainder of our evening. Our driver, Jason, got out his guitar and provided our entertainment for the evening. Most people crashed around 2300 but Lou and I stayed up chatting to some others who'd joined us by the fire.
Made it to bed around 0100 and have an early start, oh well!

Thurs 10th Jan:
Continued down Highway 35, just breath taking scenery. Stopped at Tolaga Bat to check out the incredible 660m pier. I was feeling pretty rough so practically getting blown off the pier helped to blow the cobwebs away!
We arrived in Gisborne around 1500 and the weather was grey and miserable so we were not impressed. Thisw as made worse by arriving at our accomodation, luxury camping! Our half built dorm had lovely new bunks but tarps where the windows should be! When this place is finished it will be awesome but its just not there yet.
With the rubbish weather and not much else to do we did some sight seeing, Kaiti Hi;; for a view of Gisborne and the bay out to Young Nicks Head.
we had a bbq dinner which was finally ready at 2100 then disappeared soon after to bury ourselves beneath the duvets, getting a surprisingly good sleep.

Fri 11th Jan:
we headed upto Rere Natural Rockslide this morning for some alternative activity. I chose to pass because of my knee but it looked awesome, check out the photos! Then onto Rere Waterfall where Jason did the maori thing, jumped off it. Its a really dodgy thing to do as the water is only a few metres deep and you can see the rocks at the bottom!
Back to the hostel to pack up and have lunch then a few drop offs in town before then long drive to Rotorua. A 4hr drive along Highway 2 through the mountains and via Waioeka Gorge Scenic Reserve, New Zealands rural heartland.
You certainly know when you get to Rotorua, the smell of sulphur hits you full on!
Checked into the Funky Green Voyager. Grabbed some food in the evening but can't wait for some sleep!



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Sushi anyone!!!Sushi anyone!!!
Sushi anyone!!!

Sorry, random photo huh?
Where's Jason?Where's Jason?
Where's Jason?

That would be him standing at the top, crazy maori!
Waioeka GorgeWaioeka Gorge
Waioeka Gorge

Gorge(oues) hehe


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 18; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0294s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb