Kia Ora


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Waitomo Caves
January 21st 2008
Published: January 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Tues 8th Jan:
Left on new Stray bus to rural village of Waitomo, famous for its caves and glowworms. There are several crazy caving activties to choose from but with my sensible hat on, I chose the sedate 'Spellbound' option. We got transported to the cave by minibus, then wandered down the path to the cave entrance, put on our very attractive hard hats and then, in we went. We walked along a windy path until we reached the boat, then hopped in, turned out our head torches and enjoyed the view, literally 1000's off glowworms everywhere! we spent about 30mins in there with it taking about 10mins for your eyes to adjust to the dark.
Once outside, and temporarily blinded, we drove to the second cave. We stopped at a shelter on the way for hot choc and cookies. The secong cave had a proper path and lighting in it so we walked at our leisure through it. The tour took just over 3hrs so glad to get lunch when I got back.
We waited for the others to return then back on the road at 1515. Onto Maketu and our culture evening, staying with local maori in their purpose
That's a good lookThat's a good lookThat's a good look

and you know it!
built Marae. We shared a traditional 'hangi' meal with them and get to learn some maori traditions, including the Haka (males) and Poi (ladies).
What an awesome evening and such fun. We had a display put on for us and then performed for the men after they performed for us, what a laugh (especially the scary eyes)!
All done by 2100 so some wine and card games before finding some space in the Marae for my mattress and settling down for the night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

The HakaThe Haka
The Haka

These kids were amazing, so much passion
The MaraeThe Marae
The Marae

We get welcomed into the Maori home and carry out the official greeting, hongi - the touching of noses


Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 18; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0594s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb