Nz's Largest Tree


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Dargaville
June 7th 2007
Published: June 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We left Goat Island campsite and visited the nearby marine reserve. Nice beach views and lots of birdlife in the area. Apparently it is possible to see lots of fish from here, including Snapper, but none visible today! Lovely warm sunny morning but we had quite a long journey ahead up to the east coast to Dargaville - home of the potato! We drove through this area known for its' logging, dairy industries and of course Kumara growing.

From Dargaville we headed up to the beautiful Kai lwi lakes with its' sparkling clear turquoise waters fringed with native forest, and white sand, (wish we were here in summer as a great camping site). We then headed up the twisty beautiful road draped in lush rainforest vegetation to the Waipoura Forest. Here we saw the 'Four Sisters', 4 large Kauri trees situated within very close proximity, and also the largest Kauri tree in Nz, 'Tane of Mahura' (with a height of 54.5 metres). It is estimated that this tree sprung from seed around 2,000 years ago.

Next we headed to Rawene to a very friendly campsite for the night. Ellie was pleased to be greeted by a friendly Golden Retriever and 2 contented cats.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0311s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb