Clever titles are hard


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Coromandel » Whitianga
September 23rd 2005
Published: September 26th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Cathedral CoveCathedral CoveCathedral Cove

Brian and Geri on the Glass Bottom Boat in front of Cathedral Cove.
We've packed a lot into our first full day on the North Island. After landing yesterday, we rented a car and Brian had a crash course (pun intended) in driving on the left side of the street. (He actually didn't crash, but there were a couple of white-knuckle moments).

We got lost trying to leave Auckland - it's really confusing to get onto the motorways here, if you're picky about going in the right direction. Once we were headed in the right direction, we drove about two and a half hours to Whitianga, via a very windy, narrow, unpaved road through the mountains. The locals were impressed we took that route, and were doubly impressed to learn that we did it in a little four-door Mazda, rather than a 4-wheel drive.

Whitianga is a resort town on the east coast of the Coromandel Peninsula. It reminds us a bit of Grand Marais, MN. We checked into our backpacker (hostel) which turned out to be a comfortable apartment with a kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, living room and TV. Then we went out on a glass-bottom boat cruise of Mercury Bay.

Much of Mercury Bay is a marine preserve, where fishing
Hot Water BeachHot Water BeachHot Water Beach

Geri in her very own, freshly-dug spa.
is prohibited. We saw lots of fish, seals, and birds, as well as caves, islands and beautiful cliffs. Our skipper, Shane, taught us all about the history and landscape of the area, and was generous in sharing from his candy jar. (Brian appreciated this very much, as you can imagine.)

After the cruise, we drove about 40 minutes to Hot Water Beach, where hot water bubbles through the rocks and sand. We borrowed a spade and Brian dug us a big hole, where the hot water from below mixed with sea water, to create a delightful natural spa. We were surrounded by families and other tourists enjoying the water. The air temp, however, was quite chilly (maybe 55 degrees F) so getting out of the hole was not so fun. And Brian got a blister from all the digging. But it was still very worth the effort, though we would have started digging as the tide was going out, rather than coming in, if we got to do it again.

After digging the big hole, we were very hungry, and ate at an Indian restaurant in town. Before the entree arrived, Geri was overcome by exhaustion and nearly
NZ FoodNZ FoodNZ Food

An assortment of NZ foodstuffs from the Whitianga New World Supermarket (incl Coffee in a Tube).
fell asleep face down in the Malai Kofta. We paid and went back to the hostel, where we were in bed asleep by 8:30. Our first sleep in a bed in days.

This morning we got up, and Geri partook of New Zealand's contribution to hot beverages: Coffee in a Tube. Coffee, milk and sugar are all combined into a syrup that squeezes out of a toothpaste tube, and mixes with boiling water. Mmmmmm!

We then took the ferry across the bay to Ferry Landing, where we walked up to a Pa (Maori fortification) and took in the spectacular views of the town below, the sea, and surrounding mountains.

Brian then re-arranged our plans for the next few days, as our original plan was vetoed due to a spring blizzard in Tongariro National Park. Rather than hike with crampons and a guide, we decided that we'd try to visit a different and warmer nearby mountain, Mt. Manganui. Tomorrow we're spending the day travelling and will end the day at a spa where we'll be submerged in mud and get massages.

More later. Love, Brian and Geri


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Maori PaMaori Pa
Maori Pa

Brian at a Maori Pa near Ferry Landing.


29th September 2005

What? No Pocky?
You fly half way around the world to drink coffee in a tube with NO POCKY???? Miss you - xo

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb