Day Thirty Five


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Coromandel » Waihi
June 22nd 2008
Published: June 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

John, how did the races go on Saturday? McMenemy staff, I had Jack watch Old Greg! He loved it and wound up watching the full episode. Now he is quoting it telling me to "make an assessment." Tiff, I still think you should get that picture taken that you wanted to. Maybe Mom can do it for you. Mom & Dad, which trainer are Moose and Tessa at? Bobbi, I think Jack is going to get a haircut soon. Maybe. Is Caitlin done with Band Camp? Is Mark back in the states for good? Mike, good job on the bet. Keep it up, though, Jack really wants your TV. Nat, you are making Jack jealous. Do you still have the season so he can get his fix when we get back? Dad, thanks to the flood, the fireplace is cleaner than ever. I think you are right about the flue fire. That would have been bad.

Nieva got sick, bloated up, and puked all over the restaurant. Good thing it was after closing.

We are getting more comfortable with the espresso/internet lounge every day, which means Christoffel and Alison are more comfortable with leaving us here to manage while they run errands and do paperwork. And take Nieva to the vet.

This town has the potential to be a great tourist attraction, but it isn't. It has the giant mine hole, gorges, tunnels, glow worm caves, a river, mountains, beaches, everything, and yet the only thing you can really do is sit on a bus that drives you around the mine or walk through the town museum. So, there is a group of guys in this town that all run their own excursion/adventure companies. One does Harley Davidson tours, one does dirt bike trails, one does mountain surfing, and one does carver experiences (a fast, three wheeled, $200,000 car with hydraulics so you can bank the car. There are only two in NZ and they are both here in Waihi). The four guys are now working together to advertise, develop, and attract tourists into Waihi. They are working with Counsel to get funding and put billboards on the way into town. Along with their own tours, they want to create an all-in-one package for the four adventures to help each other out and get adrenaline junkies to stay in Waihi longer.

These four guys are all customers here at the Burrowing Bullie and have been talking to Christoffel about making bookings for the adventures right from the cafe. That way the backpackers staying upstairs will be exposed to the adventure packages, maybe buy a couple tours from here, and in turn want to stay in town longer (which means more money for the Burrowing Bullie). Christoffel would also get a percentage of the money from the tours sold for advertising and booking them.

I think it will take some time for this town to spring to life, but if they can get tourists and backpackers to just stay and have a good time, the town will grow in worth and attraction. All it takes is four guys (five with Christoffel) to actually do something for this town. I think the ones with a vision are going to take off in Waihi and everyone else who was happy with their status quo is going to get left behind or stomped out. Maybe not for five years, though.

Jack thinks they should build a bungy jump over the mine. It could work!

Advertisement



22nd June 2008

weeds again
I watched it on BLUERAY and I do not have it anymore (or the blueray player, boo) but I will work on getting those last 6 episodes for you.
23rd June 2008

thunder hill
racing was good. chad came from the back of the feature and ended up second putting on a heck of a show to get there, still having problems with the electrical system which led to the back row for the feature line up. anyway chad's mom thinks he is paul newman, his wife thinks he is brad pitt and his son thinks he is tony stewart so all is well. jack, that old becker motor still kicks major butt. next week we take the big car on the road. kasson mn 7-2 allison ia 7-3 knoxville 7-4. anderson ranch is springing for some new tires and a drum of methanol. golf is ok, finally broke 80 last week. you should give my dad a call when you get a chance. lots of people have told me your's was the nicest wedding they have ever been to. it was fun to see some old friends. the time is flying so keep enjoying it. talk to you guys soon. john
23rd June 2008

Continuing to enjoy the running account of your NZ experiences, entertaining and very well written, too! Although it wouldn't hurt you to insert a line now and then, Jack! At first you were covering ground at such a fast pace, thought you might not last three months, but now have no doubt you will. Relieved you still love NZ AND each other!! Visited G'ma Lu this afternoon, in transitional care. She is getting stronger and doing well. Grandma T was very happy to get your email. Sam is at the St. Croix YMCA camp this week, and Shane will be going to Boy Scout camp next week. So Danny thinks he is getting a much needed "rest!" Love G and G
25th June 2008

Hair
Is it touching his shoulders yet?

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.038s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1023.3kb