Day 6 – A Day at the Beach


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Coromandel » Waihi
November 12th 2007
Published: November 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Another perfect day in paradise. After a lazy morning with breakfast in the little garden overlooking Hot Water Beach, we packed up for a short hike. About 15 minutes away was a trail the leads to Cathedral Cove. The hike started at the top of the overlook and took about 30-40 minutes down the trail. The end of the trail put us on a small beach with a rock formation similar to the Hole in the Rock (see above). The difference is that at low tide you walk through instead of sail through. The archway is the “cathedral”. We took a bunch of pictures, scrambled around some rocks, and ended the visit by finding a geocache that almost beat us (Amy didn’t give up). After the hike back up the mountain, we had earned some food. We grabbed some lunch at a local café and picked up some New Zealand pizza, just to see what it was like - Avocado on everything and very good. After a little break at the cottage, we headed back out to Hot Water Beach to try our hand at digging a mini spa again. No joy. After digging an Olympic sized pool at the edge of the chaos (see picture), we figured out the trick. There is really only one spring and everyone digs there. The trick is that they aren’t digging a hole to find the hot water (they already know where it is); they’re digging a hole to let cold water in to cool it off. After that, we made our way back to the cottage and had a little dinner, watched a movie, and called it a day. Tomorrow, we’re traveling south. That’s all for now, stay tuned.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.255s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0681s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb